TV221 back pleating, too much fabric?

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Jessa
Window Shopper

TV221 back pleating, too much fabric?

Postby Jessa » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:44 pm

I'm making TV221, Tie-Back Underskirt, to fit a 44 inch hip (size H) and a 28 inch waist (size E). I adjusted the curved seams on the front and side pieces to taper into the smaller waist size, and I think I have them fitting well.

However, I'm not sure what I should do about the back, since normally it's a rectangular piece. I don't want to try pleating ~45 inches of material into a 6 inch width across my center-back. To end up with typical 3:1 knife pleats I've got to narrow the top by an awful lot. Do I want to add darts? Should I reshape the back piece, and if so, how? Have I just got the wrong idea entirely?
Last edited by Jessa on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: TV221 back pleating, too much fabric?

Postby Heather » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Nope, just pleat 44" down to fit 6". The pleats will over lap each other. If you only did a 3:1 pleat, the back would only be 18" wide, and it would be very narrow. It will all fit, don't worry. It seems like a lot at first, I know. But after you have done it a few times, it gets pretty routine.

If you need help with the pleating, I have discussed it in detail in this post:

http://trulyvictorian.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6031
Jessa
Window Shopper

Re: TV221 back pleating, too much fabric?

Postby Jessa » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Thank you, Heather. The amount of fabric was intimidating, but after I read your pleating guide and "just did it" it came out beautifully!

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”