TV550 silly questions

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Miranda Miller
Information Junkie

TV550 silly questions

Postby Miranda Miller » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi, I finally got around to making the TV550 short crown hat, after having the pattern for nearly 3 years, lol, Any how, I am about to sew the brim up and curious where to sew the middle section at. The directions said to stitch all the layers together, just inside the middle wire circle..... Ok here's the silly question. So, do I sew inside the "donut" I am going to be cutting out? Then clip to the stitching? OR do I sew inside the two sets of wires, leaving the inner wire exposed?
Anyone worked this out?
Heather
Site Admin

Re: TV550 silly questions

Postby Heather » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:37 pm

You want to cut out the middle of the brim donut, then clip in to the wires. Set the crown over the brim, and fold the tabs that you clipped in the donut up into the crown on the inside. Then baste through the tabs and crown, just above the wires. Does that help?
Miranda Miller
Information Junkie

Postby Miranda Miller » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:33 pm

Do the basting stitches to hold everything together get stitched in a manner to leave the wire around the donut section exposed, or does that inner wire get caught into the basting and covered like the edged wire?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:45 pm

I'm sorry, I am not quite understanding the problem. There should not be any wires exposed by this stage. All the wire was put onto the buckram and then the fabric was put on over it. This is the last stage, putting the two completed parts of the hat together.

The covered wire of the crown should match up with the covered wire of the brim. I baste around the crown, just above the wire, catching all the brim tabs around the circle. I like the stitching on the crown so that is can be easily covered with a hat band. If you stitch low on the brim, it can be harder to cover up.
Miranda Miller
Information Junkie

Postby Miranda Miller » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:05 pm

Great!!! That totally answers my questions about were to place the basting on the brim, before cutting out the middle. So glad I waited, was about to do it the other way and cover the wire in bias tape. Thanks!

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”