Lining suggestions?

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
jewels
Costume Afflicted

Lining suggestions?

Postby jewels » Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi Heather,
I want to make my Natural Form summer dress and am using the Jacket Bodice, Fantail Skirt (no train) and the Split Pannier Overskirt. I'm on a budget with this so I decided to use a white medium weight cotton broadcloth for all three pieces and perhaps use a cotton batiste or voil for ruffles or pleated trim or maybe lace. I will be wearing the proper undergarments and a corset so I don't want this to be too hot. I'm just going to flatline it but my question is what would you recommend I use for that. I really can't spend a lot for the lining fabric. Would a muslin work and can I use the same fabric to flatline all three pieces or should I use something else for the bodice?
Thanks for your help!
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Lining suggestions?

Postby Heather » Wed May 02, 2012 7:19 pm

You most likely don't need to line the skirt and overskirt. But the bodice should be flat lined with something with a little strength or heft to it. I would go with a heavy broadcloth, or a light twill. This is the layer that will take the strain of the tight fit and keep the fashion fabric from pulling.
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Wed May 02, 2012 8:43 pm

I always line my bodices with muslin or even symphony broadcloth when I need it to "sorta" match the fashion fabric.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Frank815
Inquiring Mind

Postby Frank815 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:51 am

I flatline in twill, then do a bias facing on the bottom of the bodice in cotton
My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts. That was then, this is my now...

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”