Bodice Facing TV401

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
AnotherBlackSheep
Window Shopper

Bodice Facing TV401

Postby AnotherBlackSheep » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:54 pm

I am making up view A with waistband. I just want to make certain I understand the directions before I make a mess of things.

Essentially is the final result that the facing is on the outside on the right hand side and inside on the left hand side? Which side do the button holes go on (I can never remember which!)? :shock:
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Bodice Facing TV401

Postby Heather » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:55 pm

If you have fabric that looks the same on both sides, then yes, on the button hole side or top side, you can fold the facing to the front, rather than too the back. When you top stitch down each side of the facing, it gives you a look of a strip down the center front and the main blouse sections coming out from underneath on both sides. If your fabric does not look the same on both sides, then you will need to fold both sides under. This is for the high necked version. If making the open necked version, both sides should be under.

I always remember the button/hole side issue as "the right side is holy" or holey in the case of the button holes.
AnotherBlackSheep
Window Shopper

Postby AnotherBlackSheep » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:16 am

Thanks Heather! I think it came out rather well. Will have to post pictures when I am done.

Just one more question: My instinct is that you wouldn't, because it would look funny funny but, would one use under sleeves with this get-up? Or is this a strictly casual hanging out at home garment? What about a collar?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 am

I would say no to the undersleeves. This is a summer outfit, and undersleeves would just be too hot. You could use a collar with the high neck if you wanted, but it wouldn't be required.
AnotherBlackSheep
Window Shopper

Postby AnotherBlackSheep » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Ok, I'm done. And I'm reasonably pleased even though it is obviously too large. Pleased mostly because this was my first project on my new treadle machine (all but the armholes and buttonholes because why would I want to do that to myself already?). I had planned to use this piece for folk to borrow who feel like dressing up on a whim who normally don't. I figured that if I made it a bit larger in the waist the general easy fit would accommodate other people beside myself. That being said I should have made the waist that was not fitted and used the belt instead if I wanted it to fit others beside myself. Oh well.

Here is the link because I'm having trouble posting it today.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26583020@N05/6878091543/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used the same sizing as some other patterns I'd done previously but this one came out pretty large for me. Really I think it's mostly the waist measurement. I should shorten it up and tighten the band a bit next time. If this fit correctly it wouldn't bag at the waist, would it? What about gap between the waist band of the skirt/shirt? Should I put in some hooks and bars?

Also, I should know to stay away from plaids. I took lots of time to match up the shoulder seams with the vertical lines of the plaid pattern and forgot about the horizontal ones. Should I stick with light colors for summer garments?

I would love your general opinions about all of the above but also I have a question about the sleeves. Easing shoulder seams has never been my strong point. I really had many more inches of fabric on the sleeve then could reasonable fit into the arm opening. Should I scale the sleeve opening down a bit to better fit the bodice arm opening? This shouldn't be a puffy gathered sleeve so did I screw up somewhere? It may have been the cheap loosely woven cotton fabric I used. Maybe I should sew along the edge after I cut to keep everything where it belongs? Are they too baggy? too long?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR OPINIONS FOR IMPROVEMENTS! :D

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”