super puffy overskirt

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

super puffy overskirt

Postby gretagretchen » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:05 pm

I would like to make an overskirt like the one on the right -- big, puffy and shortish.
Most of the time the TV overskirts on me are really long -- past the knee, so I would need do some shortening too. Isn't it different than just cutting off the length?

What would be a good pattern for this? I have the bustled overskirt but it never looks that drapey on me. perhaps if I gathered the sides versus pleating them?

Also, I want to make this from pre-ruched fabric. Any thoughts on that?
http://www.housefabric.com/images/ProductDetail/98410.jpg
Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com
loretta t
Costume Afflicted

Re: super puffy overskirt

Postby loretta t » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 pm

Love this plate, what year is it?
My grandma always said I was an old soul in a new body.
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Let's do the dating game!

I think it looks mid- 80s. How about 1887?
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
loretta t
Costume Afflicted

Postby loretta t » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:54 pm

I was thinking mid 1870's, but not real sure.
My grandma always said I was an old soul in a new body.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:25 am

My first thought was early Second Bustle, 1883-84ish. The skirt looks too narrow to be 70s. You wonder if you should pleat or gather, have you considered doing both? Fixed pleats with a drawstring channel for adjustable gathering has worked for me before. It creates quite a bit of fullness and it shortens the overskirt too.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Doesnt Heather suggest lining some fabrics in a overskirt with net from time to time to help support the fabric? This might be enough to give you the necessary ooomph!

Tiffers
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:42 pm

My guess was also 1883 - It's clearly late bustle, not early (bodice shape and lack of train give it away) but that blue overskirt is very reminiscent of the late natural form overskirts (they often got sort of pannier-y towards the end). Later on in the late bustle overskirts got very vertical and asymmetrical - long pleats falling from the waist, overskirts almost touching the floor in places, that sort of thing.

Basically the trick for making an overskirt like that is to make it much longer than the finished length, but don't allow enough width so that the folds and pleats can drop out at the center - keep the panels fairly narrow, and all the bunching will persist across the whole front.

You can see in the painting there are pleats at the back waist (for getting over the bustle), and lots of fullness coming from the side seams towards the front and back. Remember to keep your panels narrow, and consider interlining with net or silk organza for body.

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”