Hatpins?

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Hatpins?

Postby Andrea L » Sat May 28, 2011 11:39 pm

So of all the things to start on first, I begin with the hat (really?). I have the buckram pieces wired and more or less put into a hat shape, so I'm thinking now about what I'm going to do with it once it's done. Which made me think of hatpins.

I like the idea of just getting blank hatpins and decorating my own...but what length of hatpin should I get? I'm making the TV550 hat, short crown, so I don't want something that will be huge and overwhelm the hat and the other decorations. At the same time, I need something that will keep the hat on my head. Also, how do you wear/position the pins? I've been trying to search for pictures and haven't seen any good ones, so I assume they are either well hidden or are blended in with the rest of the decorations. Am I supposed to leave holes or something in the crown of the hat for the pins?

Regarding the hat...did the instructions say to only have one piece of fabric cut out for the top and crown? If I wanted to put fabric on the other side, would I put it on before sewing the top and crown buckram together, fold the seam allowance onto the right side of the hat, and then use the outter piece to cover up the inner seam allowance?
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Hatpins?

Postby Heather » Sun May 29, 2011 6:44 am

The hat pin need to be long enough go from one side of your hat to the other, with a little bit to spare. You are literally pinning the hat to your head, going in one side of the crown, under your hair along the scalp, and out the other side. Where and what angle is entirely up to you, your hat, and your head; what ever holds it on properly. The pin decoration can be as big or as little as you like. There are no rules.

As for putting in a lining, you really don't need one. But if you want one, you will need to sew the crown to top, with a regular seam. Then just fit it into the hat before you sew the brim on. You will most likely need some glue on the top to keep it up inside.
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Sun May 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Oh...okay. For some reason I thought that the hat pins were only on one side of the head, like a safety pin catching fabric, except it would catch some hair along with it. But then I was thinking, how would that stay on your head? Now I know. And I was wondering why I was seeing hatpins that were 7 or 8 inches long. I guess it depends on how much pretty I decide to put on the end and the angle. What angle/position works best for you? Or does it depend on where the decorations are placed?

I had spent some time before going to bed trying to figure out how to get the inside fabric pieces on...not thinking that, duh, they can be sewn together (I was caught in the loop of sewing all of this by hand since I was working on the buckram these past couple of evenings). Yeah, that'll work.

I was talking to my sewing teacher about my hat, and I'm using heavy buckram (I've seen other frames that have a smaller mesh-looking pattern than my buckram, but I just used what was available locally) and kona cotton. I asked if I needed to put another layer of heavier fabric underneath the kona cotton so the buckram and the wire doesn't show through, and she said I could just use interfacing. What are your thoughts? Right now, I have the extremes in interfacing, lightweight fusible and the super heavy nonfusible kind. But I could easily find something heavier if that's what's required.
Miranda Miller
Information Junkie

Postby Miranda Miller » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Did you finish the hat? I am very curious since I am close to finishing one and have hit a snag. :bang:
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:31 am

Oh yeah, I finished the hat ages ago, last September. That was my first hat, so I'm obviously no pro, but you can ask and I know someone will be able to answer your questions here.

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”