Pleating

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Amused
Window Shopper

Pleating

Postby Amused » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:30 am

I'm making the TV221 Tie-back under skirt. Gathering a ruffle is easy but how do you calculate the pleats per inch so your pleated flounce fits your skirt circumference? I don't want a skimpy pleated flounce or to have to rip it all out and do it over because I ran short.
How did you do the pleated flounce?
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Re: Pleating

Postby Miss Cindy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:53 am

Heather taught me that you use a ratio of 3:1 if your pleats touch. If you have an equal space between the pleats then it would be 2:1. I hope that helps.
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:35 pm

There is a method that I call "halving" to get my pleats. I've talked about it before, so will just post a link to the previous thread.

http://trulyvictorian.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4234&p=37072&hilit=halving#p37072

A little farther down the same thread, my theory on pleats and yardages got re-posted as well. There are other threads out there too, so you you might want to try a search on "halving" and see what pulls up.
Amused
Window Shopper

Postby Amused » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:40 pm

Miss Cindy, I'll have to try out the ratios and see how that works out for me. Thanks for your help.

Oh! Halving. That's how I pin on and gather a ruffled flounce. Works quite nicely too. I didn't think that would work for pleats but I see that if you took it all the way down to pleat size it would work out neatly. Thanks, Heather.
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:40 am

I'm a huge fan of the "halving" method. I kinda did it on my own before I realized it was a school of thought. So much more precise, and man am I a nut-job about lining things up perfectly and even gathers and the like. Being a slightly crazy perfectionist, it ends up being much faster for me b/c I'm not spending hours readjusting gathers for even fullness on each side.
:fence:
danceforjoy
Costume Afflicted

Postby danceforjoy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:55 pm

I wouldn't want to be without my "Perfect Pleater" - it's a louvered contraption available online from Clotilde. Tuck, press, cool, remove, tape them down... it makes gorgeous uniformly pleated trim without a lot of headaches, which can then be cut to length and sewn on like any other furbelow.

The way I've done such trims is: make a sample of about 12" to see if I like the proportions for my project (the Pleater has spacing in 1/4" increments), unfold and measure to calculate how much raw fabric length is needed, then use that to calculate my needed yardage. I generally use a folded piece of fabric for my trim (the fold edge is the "hem" and the raw edges together go into the seam). This accomplishes 2 things: it saves me from MILES of hemming, and creates a more substantial trim. A 48" width of fabric will make three lengths of 16" depth, so I would need, for example, 1 yard of fabric to make 3 yards of "raw" unpleated trim that would hang at 7 1/2" depth (the extra inch is the seam allowance). The math is pretty simple and I never have to worry about having to redistribute my pleats or getting them uneven - I just make it up, pin it on, and stitch. I always make a few inches extra to allow for finishing the ends and/or overlap.

I hum with the praises of my Perfect Pleater! The biggest problem is the boredom of making those miles and miles of trim... but that's unavoidable regardless of method, and the results are gorgeous. Works on lace and ribbon, too...

HTH,

Deborah

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”