Bodice Boning

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Bel
Window Shopper

Bodice Boning

Postby Bel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:42 pm

I'm am starting my first Truly Victorian bodice (TV 422) and am wondering what sort of boning I should use. Iam thinking that the steel spiral boning, like I used in my corset, probably isn't necessary but should I use white steel or plastic boning? What difference would the different types of boning make to the bodice?
EvilPoptart320
Window Shopper

Re: Bodice Boning

Postby EvilPoptart320 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:28 am

Honestly, I find plastic boning infinitely more comfortable to wear. And in my opinion they both look the same when incorporated in to an outfit.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:54 am

I prefer the flat steel boning, with the spiral in the curved sideback seam.

Comfort is not an issue, as all the place where the boning is, is over the corset. You won't feel it at all. The plastic stuff you get at most fabric stores just won't do as good a job. The hip will tend to curl up on you, or in a ballgown bodice, the center point will flip up. Let me put it this way, all the boning failures I have ever seen, have been in bodices with the plastic stuff.
Bel
Window Shopper

Postby Bel » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Thank you, Heather. I'll get what you suggest.
rangerfeline
Costume Afflicted

Postby rangerfeline » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:07 pm

I'm a smallish human, 5'2" tall, and I wear a US size 10/12. That said, I find that steel adds a lot of weight to a bodice and makes it less comfortable. Moreover, I personally think that Farthingales' German plastic boning doesn't suck; I think that smaller/slighter figures can get away with it. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Bel
Window Shopper

Postby Bel » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:39 pm

rangerfeline wrote:I'm a smallish human, 5'2" tall, and I wear a US size 10/12. That said, I find that steel adds a lot of weight to a bodice and makes it less comfortable. Moreover, I personally think that Farthingales' German plastic boning doesn't suck; I think that smaller/slighter figures can get away with it. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I think I'm probably a similar size to you (guessing at the US sizing here - I'm English, living in Australia) so I don't need as much support as a more well-endowed lady would. I will go with the recommended steel and spring boning for this bodice but I'll bear plastic in mind for the future. A comparison never goes amiss, even if it proves Heather right all along!

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”