sleeveless vest

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Frank815
Inquiring Mind

sleeveless vest

Postby Frank815 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:37 am

Hey Ladies, I am in need of some assistance. I am making a 1890's vest for Amanda, but I want a double-breasted vest. What would be the best way to go about this? I already have TV463 , which would work if I just cut off the top of the vest part, and made it double breasted. OR I could use the TV493, and use the same techniques. But I LOVE the pleated part on TV463? HELP! What would you do?
My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts. That was then, this is my now...
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Re: sleeveless vest

Postby Bookwyrm » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:09 pm

I made a double breasted vest a few months ago from the only TV bodice pattern I have... TV405 (Vest Basque). Perhaps not the best choice, but I hit it with a hammer a bunch and made it go. You can use any bodice pattern you want. Get the pattern fitting how you want with a CF closure (no DB). Then trace onto the mockup what you want the full front to look like. Trace that off onto a mirror image of your front piece, and basically paste it on to the CF of the pattern - blend the neckline and bottom edge so it's smooth. If you have a straight CF you can do a seamless CF, if there's a curve you can put a dart or seam in the CF.

Here's what mine came out looking like:

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”