Photos wanted

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Heather
Site Admin

Photos wanted

Postby Heather » Tue May 11, 2010 9:40 am

I was looking over the Truly Victorian catalog pages, and I have decided it's time to update a few things. Several pages have poor photos, or no photos at all. I would love to have a nice photo to illustrate every pattern. I tend to make not-so-nice test runs of the patterns and these tend to not be overly photogenic. But so many of you make these wonderful creations.

So.... I am asking if anyone has made up a pattern and would like to lend me the use of your photos for my web site catalog. The requirements are few... That the garment looks recognizably like the original pattern. Small alterations and embellishments are fine, but no major changes please.

The pages in most need of makeovers are the following: 246, 456, 423, 261, 551, 291, 491, 498. Or if you have a photo of a different garment that you think would be better that what I already have, I would consider changing or adding to other pages as well.

Please email your photos to me at info@trulyvictorian.com, with a quick descriptions of the patterns and fabric used. I will assume that any photos sent also come with permission to put on the website.

Thank you very much!!!! I can't wait to see what you got!!!!
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Re: Photos wanted

Postby Tiffers » Tue May 11, 2010 10:35 am

Heather, you have a fairly good section where you show peoples photographs that they have emailed you along with their comments.

How about sorting that slightly, rather than have it as a clickthrough gallery style. You could then have a seperate section for each of the clothing periods, i.e for bustle, early hoop and so on. Then, on each subsection of patterns, you can have a link to the appropriate group of photographs so people can get some inspiration for their particular period. This, in addition to the clear and illustrative photo on each pattern page would be really useful!

Does this make sense? I've just written it and I'm not totally sure!

Tiffers
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue May 11, 2010 11:22 am

Interesting idea. Labor intensive, but worth thinking about. That section is a bit unwieldy right now, and better organization might help. The main problem is that with the public gallery now available, not so many people email me stuff anymore. That and the fact that I didn't post any new photos for well over a year. And I think I have a whole year of lost comments on my old computer I need to dig up.
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Thu May 13, 2010 5:55 pm

I have also thought that the photogallery would be more useful if the photos were linked from the pattern catalogue. If there's anything I can do to help you sort that out, I'd be happy to.
Orianna
Information Junkie

Postby Orianna » Sat May 15, 2010 6:30 am

When there's more than one view, such as bodices that can be made with different shaped hems or necklines, it would really be fantastic to have a photo for each view. That way, we don't have to guess at what the final garment will look like. I know I'm constantly wondering what view B of TV208 looks like.

When it's a skirt pattern, it would be great if the photo didn't have an overskirt obscuring the skirt, so we can really see what it looks like. (Unless it's a really short overskirt, like TV303.)

Multiple angles would be good: front, back, side.

And definitely have the photos labeled, so we know what we're looking at! I know all of this would be a lot of work, but I certainly think it'd be worth it in the end. It would make the browsing and shopping experience much easier.

Just a few suggestions, based on my own experience with browsing through your patterns. :D
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Sat May 15, 2010 1:36 pm

Now I know this thread is about photos but this is something else I keep thinking about whenever I click on a link posted in someones thread....

Is it possible to make links pop up in a new window rather than navigating you away from the TV site?

Tiffers
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Sun May 16, 2010 1:16 am

Ooh, while we're on requests: back and front views of everything! I almost always want the view not shown.

I really wish I had any pictures to contribute, but I haven't made anything from TV patterns yet (well... I used one as the basis for something, but it's completely unrecognizable).
Dixie McCan
Window Shopper

Postby Dixie McCan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:24 am

Great ideas! I can hardly wait to see what you come up with! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Dixie McCan
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:50 am

Also, it would be nice to know what patterns other than the one listed were used. For example, if I see a Skirt Pattern, I might wonder what bodice pattern was used. It would be nice if they would list which patterns were used.
Lioness
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Postby ljt » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:00 am

Do you still need new photos? I have several. Loretta
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:23 am

Yes, I could still use new photos. Only a couple people have sent me photos. And of those, photo quality left me with pretty much only 1 usable photos. So any help is definitlely appreciated.
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:56 pm

Heather, have you considered looking at the gallery to see whose work and photos might be up to your standards, then asking those people permission to use their images? I wish I had any photos that would be useful to you, but I don't.
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:03 pm

Heather, have you considered browsing the gallery to see whose work and photos are up to your standards, and then asking those people permission to use their images? I wish I had any photos for you to use, but I haven't used any of your patterns without heavy modification.
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Postby ljt » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:37 pm

Photos will be coming. need to let my cracked ribs heal to get in to the three new dresses to take photos. I was not aware that coughing can crack ribs, learn something every few days! Loretta
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:46 pm

OT - LJT take care of yourself! I separated ribs by coughing years ago, and they've never healed properly and still slip out of line from time to time. Very painful - I should have taken better care of myself, but I was young and invincible. Don't make the same mistake I did!

Back on topic - once this semester is over I'll drag Violet outside and pop some of my gear on her and try to get some pics. I love your patterns, Heather! I'd be so stoked if some of my stuff was good enough to model for you!
:fence:
Flippper
Window Shopper

Postby Flippper » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:41 am

I'm so glad you are doing this Heather! I was always a little disappointed that each pattern had only one example of what it could look like-I'm very visual.

I hope to have some things done but the won't be finished until spring at the earliest :( I hope to become more involved here soon.
Erica Beatriz
Costume Afflicted

Postby Erica Beatriz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:53 pm

I emailed you several, I hope that helps. Let me know if the resolution is bad.
My TV Gallery
http://trulyvictorian.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=6842
My Webshots
http://community.webshots.com/user/ericab16
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:12 am

Yes, I got those. I was going to email you back and never got around to it, sorry about that. I really love the fringe and braid on the blue skirt. Do you have a bodice that goes with it? I am currently working on a new shopping system, since the current one is becoming unreliable and quirky. I will be adding your pics to the new pages. Thank you so much!!
Erica Beatriz
Costume Afflicted

Postby Erica Beatriz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:40 am

Hi Heather,
You mean the BLACK double skirt with fringe right? No, I don't have a bodice made yet. I am planning my first pagoda bodice to go with it, but I haven't started that yet. I am so honored you think my pictures good enough to add to your site.
Sincerely,
Erica
My TV Gallery
http://trulyvictorian.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=6842
My Webshots
http://community.webshots.com/user/ericab16
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Sun May 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Do you still need photos? I have much better ones than I did before.
Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”