Age Appropriate Dress

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Amused
Window Shopper

Age Appropriate Dress

Postby Amused » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:32 pm

I know that styles and color palettes change for women as they age and since I have transitioned from 'young thing' to 'middle aged lady' :shock: :lol: I'm looking for styles of dress that would be age appropriate for me. Victorian dress is pretty easy but what about Civil War era, particularly ballgowns?
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Re: Age Appropriate Dress

Postby Bookwyrm » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Briefly, older women (married women) wore darker, richer colours and more jewelry. This is true for day and evening wear. Rather than, say, floating cotton and silk voiles, they would more likely wear taffeta and velvet, or wool. Decoration such as beading or embroidery on a dress might also be more complicated and rich.

Now, it's important to realize that just like today, not all women gave up girlish dresses just because they'd reached an age where it was no longer considered 'correct.' So you have leeway, even in their terms, you'd just be mildly inappropriate.
Cathi H
Inquiring Mind

Re: Age Appropriate Dress

Postby Cathi H » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:46 am

Bookwyrm is right. For me a Lady should be elegant and not gaudy. Everything should be in the (discrete) richness of the material and the beauty of the lace. The same for jewellery. Not overloaded but refined. Not much, but beautiful.
The ‘1865 Ballgown of pink dupioni silk and embroidered net’ which is to be found in ‘Photos of garments made from our patterns’ seems perfect to me. Perhaps the colour could be a shade darker for you (not sure) but the whole is superb and the height of refinement. It’s quite sublime.
I assume when you say ‘young thing’ you mean in the 20.30’s and ‘middle aged lady’ means 40.50’s (less or more).?

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”