Pleating around a corner?

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Yvonne
Costume Afflicted

Pleating around a corner?

Postby Yvonne » Mon May 19, 2008 6:38 am

Is there a elegant way to do this without having to cut the fabric? I tried but failed up to date.... If it were a round corner that might work but a 90 degree corner?

I'll have that Problem at several points on my dress...

my brain is in knots over this. After thinking so much about this and my other problem I cannot think straight forward anymore. (If that makes sense to you ...) ^_^

I doing the pleating for TV328 the Split Pannier Overskirt right now and I plan to do it for the Diner Bodice too, any help is appreciated...

Thanks.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon May 19, 2008 8:02 am

To get around a corner you can do a couple of things. The first is to actually miter in the corner, pleating up to it and away from it. The miter can be seamed or just folded. This gives you a very crisp true corner. Second, you can make a fan section of your pleats (several pleats on top of each other) to get you around the corner. This gives you a rounded look to the actual corner. And some of the pleats will have to be angled to fall correctly, just like a fan.
Miranda Miller
Information Junkie

Postby Miranda Miller » Tue May 20, 2008 5:42 pm

I cheated on my last dress and it turned out well, but I did my horizontal edge separate and just had the vertical edge go right over the lower edge. I guess that kinda makes sense....

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”