Dumb order-of-operations question on TV416

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
melissabee
Costume Afflicted

Dumb order-of-operations question on TV416

Postby melissabee » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:09 pm

Please pardon my inexperience... :oops: Do I attach sleeves to the TV416 ballgown bodice before or after I stitch the lining to the bodice?

Also, I ended up making a bunch of alterations to the bodice that weren't reflected in my mockup (which i was planning on using as the lining). As I'm rapidly coming up against my deadline, I was thinking about using a facing along the edges of the bodice instead of a lining to spare myself the time needed to figure out how to make the alterations to the mockup or making a whole new lining. It seems like the facing would be faster. But then again, I've never made one before so I'm not sure how to do it. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Melissa
Miranda Miller
Information Junkie

Postby Miranda Miller » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:25 pm

My first TV bodice I just sewed wide ribbon around the edges to finish it. Sadly in the time that it took me to do it, I no longer could fit into it. But it did look fine.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:14 pm

If you decide not to put in lining, then the sleeve question becomes moot. But you can put the in either before or after the lining, depending on how you want to finish the armhole. Personally, I leave the armhole sleeve exposed, so like to put in the lining before the sleeve. But if you want to hide the armhole seam, them it is best to put in the sleeve before the lining.

If you leave the lining off, you can finish the edges with a bias band of fabric for the facing. You would just cut a bias strip of fabric about 2" wide, and sew it to the edges right-sides together. Clip and turn the facing to the wrong side and hem stitch it in place.
melissabee
Costume Afflicted

Postby melissabee » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks, Miranda & Heather!

I'll probably do the facing as you've described, Heather. Seems easier, and I can make it out of the fashion fabric since I have enough left.

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”