Easiest Patterns For Beginners

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
azbellla
Costume Afflicted

Easiest Patterns For Beginners

Postby azbellla » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:23 pm

I was wondering if someone, could tell me what the easiest patterns would be for a beginner, has alittle experience in sewing but not much.

Katherine
ashariel
Costume Afflicted

Postby ashariel » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:22 pm

Hi Katherine,

I'd start with sewing an underskirt if I were a beginner, or perhaps a petticoat? That way, if you make any beginner mistakes, they'll either be hidden or covered with the bodice/overskirt. :) If you go slowly and baste things together before you sew (and try it on your body), I think that even the bodices will make sense to you. Good luck!
--ashariel
elensari
Inquiring Mind
Location: Where ever I go, there I am. Currently Arlington, TX.

Postby elensari » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:30 pm

Hi Katherine,

I agree with Ashariel. Hiding the learning curve under the other skirts is a great idea. And definitely go slow. Which era were thinking of doing?

~k
Elegance is a good taste, plus a dash of daring -C.Snow
http://www.waistedefforts.com
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:41 pm

I think the teagown without the watteau back is the easiest.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
isara
Inquiring Mind

Postby isara » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:38 pm

I agree with the above, but just know that while Victorian dresses look complicated, they're much easier to assemble than you might think. You'll be whipping them out in no time!
azbellla
Costume Afflicted

Thank You

Postby azbellla » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:35 pm

Thank you all for answering my question. As for which era I'm thinking, I have no idea...lol...I got to looking at this site, and went crazy and ordered a bunch of patterns. I actually started a overskirt pattern, and didn't turn out like I wanted it to...lol..So I figured I would start with something alittle easier, and hopefully get my sewing wings.

Thanks for all the help

Katherine
clementine
Information Junkie

Postby clementine » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:55 pm

The 410 polonaise. :D Honestly! It looks hard,but it may be the most easy pattern I ever used.I love it.
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:44 am

I would start with a petticoat, chemise, drawers. You need them anyway to wear your dress and this way you'll get sewing practice on the garments that aren't seen.

When you make your dress, I suggest working with an easy fabric. Cotton is obviously going to be handled better than velvet but some silks can be a breeze too. However, since they're more expensive, cotton is a financially more logical thing to start on!

Good luck. All these patterns look harder than they really are to a beginner. I was amazed how well everything went together when I was a beginner.
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:39 pm

For bodice fitting I would highly recommend going with a pattern that does not extend past the waist. Fitting gets trickier the more curves you include and fitting over the bust into the waist and over the hips/belly is not something to rush headlong into;)
There are bodices that stop at the waist (but extend into points over the belly and at the back) even in the natural form era.

I would second working with materials that are more easily handled. Plain weave cottons (calicos, broadcloth etc) or cotton twills will pin and hold in place nicely which makes machine and hand sewing easier and have a little bit of ease which makes wearing them more comfortable and easier to fit if you use a muslin. Silk has very little stretch when woven into taffeta for instance and the fitting is that much harder. It's easy to sew into skirts and ruffles though:)

And yes, start with your undergarments. Petticoats can be cannibalised later for lining if they really do not turn out like you'd hoped and can't fix. I would look at purchasing a corset rather than make it until you are comfortable with multiple sewing techniques. They are easier than they appear but I would suggest at least being fitted for one to know how it is supposed to feel and make your gaments fit.

A tea gown might be a nice project for a beginner dress project. You are suppoed to wear them over a corset but the fit is perhaps not quite as demanding as a tailor made;)
[url=http://www.arrayedindreams.com]arrayedindreams.com[/url]

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”