TV 263 1887 Imperial Skirt question

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Madamekat
Information Junkie

TV 263 1887 Imperial Skirt question

Postby Madamekat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:20 am

It's been a loooong time since I was back here, and I have such fond memories of all the helpful advice I received on this board! Well I need some help. I'm not sure if I'm tired or what, but I am having trouble setting the Imperial skirt onto the waistband! I matched up the center front. The front and side gores have darts and pleats as marked. From the center front mark (red clip in photo) to the seam where the side meets the side back is 11". That leaves me with 5" of waistband on which to set the entire side-back and back pieces (42" of fabric) onto the right side of remaining waistband. Since that appears physically impossible, I know I've done something dreadfully wrong. LOL Can someone explain what I should do?
**EDIT** I'm so sorry I should have said... I do understand I need to pleat or gather the extra fabric. I just doubt my ability to pleat or gather that much fabric into such a small space. Thanks!!
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (100.19 KiB) Viewed 305 times
"I firmly believe that every human being has a duty to make himself as attractive as possible," Erté wrote. "Clothes are a kind of alchemy; they can transform human beings into things of beauty or ugliness."
Heather
Site Admin

Re: TV 263 1887 Imperial Skirt question

Postby Heather » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:35 am

Sounds like you are doign things just right so far. You will have to pleat the back to fit, gathers won't go tight enough. Just overlap your pleats and it will all go in the space needed. It is tight, but doable. Also, putting in the burnous pleat at the back will remove some of the fabric from the waistband, so that will help a lot.
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks, Heather! I'm doing View B, so I don't think that one has a burnous pleat... does it? I think my issue is that I need to shift the waistband so it doesn't close CB. It needs more room on the back right to accommodate the extra panel of fabric (CB panel) that the left side of the waistband doesn't need to deal with. I hope that makes sense!
"I firmly believe that every human being has a duty to make himself as attractive as possible," Erté wrote. "Clothes are a kind of alchemy; they can transform human beings into things of beauty or ugliness."
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:40 pm

I'm pretty sure that the instructions call for the opening to be off center at the back. So yes, it should be one panel on the one side of the opening, and the other 2 panels with a wider space on the other side. There should be a mark on the waistband to let you do this, with the mark for the shifted center front.
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:44 pm

Yup, it totally does, and that was my hint that I'd done something wrong. I just didn't notice that the CF mark on the pattern isn't in the center. My eye thought it was but nope! It's shifted, putting an extra inch and a quarter to the back right side. I'm not sure what the heck I did when I marked the center front line. I must not have actually used the pattern to mark the line and assumed it was CF before I delved too far into the directions, and then forgot what I'd done. 99% of my problems are incorrectly transferring marking lines or misunderstanding directions!

The skirt is turning out great. I need to make a fluffy petticoat from this pattern to help with the train, but that's for another day!
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Ah, good! I'm glad you got is sorted out. :D

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”