Striped Worth ballgown, 1884

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
davispigeon
Window Shopper

Striped Worth ballgown, 1884

Postby davispigeon » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:46 pm

The Chicago History Museum has on their website a stunning Worth ball gown described thus:
Dress of striped dark and light brown silk brocade and velvet. Long bodice (a) with portrait neckline trimmed in brown green satin; off white lace cuffs. Skirt (b) with brown green satin back panel that extends into a train. Trimmed with dark and light brown silk fringe and tassels.

Photos on their website:
http://digitalcollection.chicagohistory.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p16029coll3/id/272/rec/6

I have 20 yards of velvet-striped poly taffeta that looks a lot like this dress. Yes, I know, poly. :P

Which TV patterns could I use to recreate this gown? I don't really want that long train. What underskirt and overskirt would I use I didn't want the train?

Also, is there a bustle under all of that drapery?

Thank you for your help!
Bel
Attachments
Worth 1884 black gold stripes.jpg
Worth 1884 black gold stripes.jpg (52.69 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Striped Worth ballgown, 1884

Postby Heather » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:50 am

This is a Natural Form Era dress, so no bustle. Unless you want a bit of a hip pad to fill out natures lack. To make a very similar look to this dress, you can go with TV225 for the underskirt, TV324 for the overskirt, and then TV422 for the bodice. Or, TV420 for the bodice, and cut any neckline that you want. To get a good skirt shape, I would recommend petticoat TV125, with maybe a second petticoat of TV170 view 2 over that.

Lovely dress, BTW.
davispigeon
Window Shopper

Re: Striped Worth ballgown, 1884

Postby davispigeon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:34 pm

Heather,
Thank you for your suggestions! I sort of figured out the right bodice and underskirt but the overskirt baffled me.
It is a lovely dress. Not sure if I'll be able to do Mr. Worth justice but I'll give it a go!
All the best,
Bel

Return to “What do y'all think?”