Natural form outfit?

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
SignalLost
Window Shopper

Natural form outfit?

Postby SignalLost » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi everyone!

The brown dress in this picture grabbed my attention hard the other day, and I've been thinking about how to make it. I think it looks like Natural Form, with the long bodice and the tighter sleeves, but maybe the train makes it early bustle? Not sure, and it doesn't help that I can't find the original in case there's more description! (I have looked through an online archive of La Moda Elegante Ilustrada but it starts with 1879, so anything before that I haven't found. Also, I don't read Spanish, which is making it tricky.)

Any thoughts on what this is and what patterns might work? I haven't seen anything in NF that looks even close to the bodice and I'm not sure if I could modify a late bustle pattern or if I should do something different. And the train's poufy-ness I'm also not sure about.

Thank you!

brownvictorian.jpg
brownvictorian.jpg (90.77 KiB) Viewed 985 times
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Natural form outfit?

Postby Heather » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:04 pm

This is a Natural Form era dress. Most likely the later end of it, 1880-1882. The striped dress has pannier drapes on the hips which is more of an 1880 thing. To make something similar, take a look at patterns TV225 - Fantail Skirt and TV428 Jacket bodice.

Return to “What do y'all think?”