skirt on the right

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

skirt on the right

Postby Quallus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 am

So I found this fashion plate and like the one on the right as it would work perfectly for my twill. There are 5 yards of material for the skirt. I am trying to figure out how to best get close to it. I would cut my lining from the 261 and attach the little pleated section to that. Now for the main fabric would I just make maybe 1 or 2" pleats all around, attach that to the top section of the lining only? I figured that I will make this a faux button closure with faux buttonholes. What are your thoughts on this? For the 11 rows along the bottom of the skirt I guess I could use a machine stitch? Doesn't look like it is anything thick like braiding.
Any help is sooo appreciated. :)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... _nr_17.jpg
Heather
Site Admin

Re: skirt on the right

Postby Heather » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:29 pm

that is an interesting skirt. I would do a skirt lining out of a broadcloth using TV261, and attach the little hem ruffle to the bottom. The top skirt is interesting. It looks to me like they took about 4-5 yards and laid it over the lining on the cross grain, pleating/gathering the top edge to fit and then large accordion/burnouse pleats in the back to get over the bustle. The loops at the top are the outside edges of the pleats hanging open, as they are only attached to the waistband at the inside fold. They most likely have a heavy interfacing along the top, like a curtain, to keep the shape. I would sew both layers to the same waistband. The buttons on the side are most likely a decoration and not functional; the real closure would be hidden, most likely in the center back under the pleats.
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Re: skirt on the right

Postby Quallus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:35 pm

I was wondering about the back section. I would just gather it normally as I won't do a big bustle in the back but liked the overall look of this. So attaching the main fabric to just the top part of the lining and waistband should be ok then.
Thanks for your help!!! I appreciate it.

:)

Return to “What do y'all think?”