recommendations/advice

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

recommendations/advice

Postby Quallus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:18 am

Hi Heather,

I am looking into making a dress like the one on the right (lady standing). Plan on using a plain black cotton lawn. Was wondering what patterns to use.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/503418064576733923/
For the overskirt I thought maybe the Waterfall overskirt? The underskirt looks to be a pleated ruffle mounted to a lining. Would I use a black lining since my petticoats are white and I planned on lining the main bodice with white as well. What pattern would I use for the bodice? Could I use the Cuirass bodice? I suppose I could make it waist length and add the belt or tuck it in?
What would you recommend? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you so very much! :D
Heather
Site Admin

Re: recommendations/advice

Postby Heather » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 am

Yes, I think the Waterfall Overskirt is a good choice. It will looks very much like the pic. Yes, underskirt looks like a tall ruffle on the skirt. Very easy to do. For a black dress, I would go with black lining, rather than white. But you can always go with white. Just use the same color for both the bodice and the skirt. Otherwise you can get color variations that look odd.

Ha, now you have me thinking of sheer summer dresses, and kilt pleated skirts.
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:42 am

Hahahaha!!!! Awesome and Thank you!
Oh, for the bodice, would you go with the Cuirass? I would like to just tuck it in and throw the belt on top but would also like to bone the bodice. Any advice on that?
Thanks again.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:43 pm

You could easily put just the overskirt over the bodice, and the waistband on the overskirt becomes the "belt". I think I would go ahead and bone it like a real bodice. That way, you can wear it later with maybe a different overskirt and have a completely new look for very little effort. I've done this before with an 1870 ballgown, but I ended the bodice at the waistline, which was more common for that time.
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:08 pm

That makes sense! Thanks!!!
:)

Return to “What do y'all think?”