fashion plate question

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

fashion plate question

Postby Quallus » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:19 am

I am now in the end stage of making a gown similar to the one on the right.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/367184175852212119/

I could use some extra eyes on this as I cannot make out if the sleeve has a vent or not or if the buttons are just decorations. Also, it looks like the buttons on the bodice and skirt are the same size?
What do y'all think?
Thanks.

:)
Heather
Site Admin

Re: fashion plate question

Postby Heather » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:07 am

I would say the button on the skirt are larger than the buttons on the bodice. At least that is what I would do. For the sleeve buttons, it can go either way. The placement, if it is true to real life, look too far to the outside of the wrist to be on a vent in the back seam. But they might have just drawn them there to show them, as the angle would make them hard to see in real life if they were on a vent.
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks. I wondered about those buttons on the sleeve.
Had played with different sizes for the skirt and bodice and ended up liking 1/2" for the jacket and 5/8" for the skirt. Really thought that 7/8 would have been the way to go for the skirt but they looked awfully big to me

Have one more question though. I made the asymmetrical overskirt and will be using the buttons on the left side (which actually looks really cool). Would thread loops be better than fabric loops since I will not be making buttonholes on that overskirt.

Thanks again!!!
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:21 am

do you need to have the buttons come loose? If not, just sew the pleats in permanently, and place the buttons over the top decoratively. This works best with buttons with out a shank, though.
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:05 pm

They are fabric covered shank buttons. Hm. I guess I will have to just play with it. Sigh!
Thank you though for your help with this.

Karin
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:03 pm

I forgot to ask you for another opinion on the welt pocket that is on the jacket. Would you make it an actual working pocket? I have been going back and forth with and haven't decided but really need to so I can finish the jacket.
What is your thought on it?

Thanks so much for your input.
:)
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:12 pm

Those are placed so close to the hem, they may not be real pockets. Also, they cross the darts and boning, so that makes welts more difficult. I would say to make them decorative, unless you really need a watch pocket.
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:59 am

Will leave them off the vest. Sorry, I meant on the jacket itself. There seems to be one in the upper chest area.
Thanks again. You are the best for giving your help and opinion.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:54 am

Oh, sorry, I didn't see that one. The small pic is hard to see detail. On the upper chest, it's most likely a real pocket.
:D
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks!
Haven't decided if it will be an actual working one or just decoration. I don't think I will ever put anything it but then again one could put a flower or two in it.
Hm. Would you make it real pocket? Sorry, it is nice to have another opinion. Some decisions are just not easy. I go back and forth a lot and still have to decide a few things. Finishing up the vest first so there is time to ponder things. :lol:
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:07 am

I've only made a couple welt pockets in my life and while they didn't come out bad, they didn't look that great either. On the other hand, welt pockets looks fabulous when done well. So if you are good at doing them, then I would make it real. It would make a great watch pocket, so I would just make it large enough for that. Or an handkerchief square.

I personally would think really hard before doing it, base on my skill level. I would definitely make the pocket first, so I can scrap it and start over, if needed.

Oh, what fabric are you using? It is is bulky, like a wool, I think I would skip it. But if it is light, like a silk, I would be more likely to try it.
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:02 pm

It is a heavier cotton, with a firm cotton flat lining.
I most likely won't make it a working one on this jacket even though I made a couple of welt pockets on my scrap front pieces and they turned out well. I like making them and I wanted to check if the welt looks better on bias or not and need to decide that as well because if the welt is on bias then the sleeve cuff probably should be on bias, too.. Oi. Too many decisions to make right now and I might leave it plain. I guess I will finish my buttonholes and buttons on the vest and go from there.
Thank you so much for sharing your opinions and thoughts. My husband isn't a big help at times so it is nice to have another input or two.

Happy Wednesday! :D
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:48 pm

OK so final question regarding the pocket.
On the fashion plate the pocket is slanted and I am assuming it is because they wanted to have the pattern continued. I suppose then that this could be sewn on straight onto the jacket as well or would it be sewn slightly slanted? I tried finding other bodices that had a pocket in that area but wasn't lucky so I thought I ask one more question.
:lol:
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:43 am

This is what I have so far. Pinned my buttons to check and see plus pinned the welt on either way.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/367184175852238088/

Opinions, please!
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:08 am

Oops, can't see the page. It is pubic?
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:35 am

OOps!!! You should be able to see it now.
https://www.pinterest.com/schneehexe/work-in-progress/

Return to “What do y'all think?”