Rainbow Dash late Victorian gala gown

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
hailstop
Inquiring Mind

Rainbow Dash late Victorian gala gown

Postby hailstop » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:46 am

I'm a cosplayer and one of the ideas I've got running around in my brain is a version of Rainbow Dash's gala gown from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic as seen here:

http://orig13.deviantart.net/8c3d/f/201 ... 5au4wg.png

Here's one interpretation:

http://yenraphotography.com/my-little-p ... a-3031.jpg

Anyway, I'm thinking either an early or late Bustle with lots of white ruffles on the bottom of the underskirt, but I'm wondering about the overskirt. It seems like the best way is to have the rainbow colors going down vertically down the back of the overskirt (and maybe the front too...not sure about that though).

But that would entail having multiple strips of fabric being sewn together first, and _then_ being used for the overskirt.

Is there any reason to think that might cause issues?
hailstop
Inquiring Mind

Re: Rainbow Dash late Victorian gala gown

Postby hailstop » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:33 am

Or maybe a better idea would be to do the rainbow as the underskirt but based with white ruffles, and then sky blue for the overskirt?
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Re: Rainbow Dash late Victorian gala gown

Postby MaryGode » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:38 pm

An issue I can see with seaming rainbow panels for an overskirt is if any swags allow the backside to show. You might have to line the overskirt to keep it clean.

I like the idea of the vertical rainbow in the back overskirt. One of Heather's overskirts is drafted to take advantage of stripes. Horizontal across the front into vertical at the back...can't recall the pattern number. Anyway, do that with the white ruffle edge, and a sky blue underskirt with white ruffles at the hem and it would be very like the first link, the deviant art drawing.

Edit to add: High-low the hem of the underskirt and wear golden shoes you can do the cross laces with!
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain

Return to “What do y'all think?”