Riding habit TV 464 and TV 264 help

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
joannemackin
Window Shopper

Riding habit TV 464 and TV 264 help

Postby joannemackin » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:46 am

About to embrace the riding habit pattern. I'm curious to know what people are putting underneath it? I'm planning breeches under the skirt. What about on top?
What type of corset? A full blouse or a fake one? A stock? I looked in the gallery for photos but its like finding a needle in a haystack. (Sorry Heather, maybe a serch on pattern number in the photographs would be a good idea)
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Riding habit TV 464 and TV 264 help

Postby Heather » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:34 am

Actually, there is a search function, and you can search for pattern number, if it is listed in the description. I think I have all the pattern numbers listed in my photos, but not sure about everyone else's

Anyway, what to wear under your habit. Yes, breeches is best. Or riding trousers, actually, they didn't have breeches (1890s) or jodphurs (1920s), yet. The riding trousers pretty much look like any pair of trousers from period, shape wise, though they would have been made of the same fabric as the habit, minimal pockets, etc.

For under the bodice, either a dicky (chemisette), or full blouse would work. You don't need a stock, a tie will work just as well. Choose a standard style collar/tie from the year you are looking to portray. Probably a dark tie like a ribbon or similar would be better than a lace or embroidered one, though those would work, too. A womans' tie would be something that was about 1" wide (may be folded in back to fit a narrower collar), getting wider at the ends, that would cross over in the front and be held in place with a pin. A ribbon might be tied into an actual bow. A lace, or simple fabric, jabot with a stock. All these would be fine. I am sure specific years had specific styles they preferred, but with only a few examples to go by, it is hard to guess what those might be.
joannemackin
Window Shopper

Re: Riding habit TV 464 and TV 264 help

Postby joannemackin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks

Return to “What do y'all think?”