Dying polyester lace fabric

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Dying polyester lace fabric

Postby Soundbrigade » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:48 pm

Finally I have gotten some energy to start AND finish a corset project. I was asked to sew a wedding corset for a quartermaster (cox?) on a merchant ship and the idea was to use off-white duchesse covered with lace.
However I haven't been able to find lace in "natural white", just white-white. Also I haven't been able to find any recipe to color a lace in polyester, instead , in most forums people claim that lace of manmade material is non-duable, but befor I give up, do anyone in here know IF I can dye lace and HOW to do it.
All I want is to get a tint that is slightly off-white.
Magnus

When in trouble, when in doubt
Run in circles, scream and shout.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Dying polyester lace fabric

Postby Heather » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:16 pm

I have been able to to adjust poly lace ever so slightly by dying in tea. Tea can add a slightly pinkish look, rather than a yellow. Results will vary. I think I did best with not rinsing the lace, just pull it out of the tea and let it dry. I've had some lace not take the tea at all, and others do, so I am not sure what the content was and why some worked and others didn't. If it doesn't take, you haven't damaged the lace at all, so you can always try something else later.
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Postby Soundbrigade » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:40 am

Thanks for the answer. The idea of using tea I have heard of before and made a simple test, but rinsing the lace, also rinse away the tea.
Finding a cotton lace is out of the question as I am running out of time and I have a yard of lace coming in any day now.

Well, I hope the slightly beige tone of duchesse will "have a positive effect on the lace. I have tried the lace/duchesse before and have gotten very odd results (yellow + blac = green, pink + black = bordeaux).
Magnus

When in trouble, when in doubt

Run in circles, scream and shout.
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:25 am

I remember seeing a post somewhere that Rit now has a dye for polyester...and they have poly lace as an example fabric. So I suppose if you use a diluted tan/beige color that they have, it could make an off white color.

Return to “What do y'all think?”