Ensemble with two bodices

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Ensemble with two bodices

Postby kellydofc » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:29 pm

I have fallen completely in love with these three gowns (the red velvet ballgown, the blue fur trimmed gown and the green fur trimmed ensemble) and want to make them all.Image Image Image
Since silk velvet and faux fur are so expensive I was thinking of making 1 skirt, two bodices (a day and ball gown) and a coat, thus I would have at least variations of all 3 ensembles. I was going to trim the skirt with the broad band of fur as seen in the green outfit but I am now wondering if that would be odd for the ballgown.
I have found one plate with a ballgown with fur trim Image so I know the idea of a fur trimmed ballgown has at least some basis in fact.
A couple of things I'm stuck on, the fur trim is quite narrow on the ballgown and I find the broad band on both the green and blue frocks to be so visually appealing that I sort of have my heart set on it but I'm worried so much fur might look odd on a ballgown. Also, I'm not fond of the bodice in the fur trimmed ballgown above since I think it looks very young. I was planning on making the top red ballgown bodice and substituting a row of fur for the row of trim but wonder if this might also look odd.
I want to be able to wear these pieces for Remembrance Day this year so I do want to be accurate. So my question is; is this plan feasible or do I have to make a separate day ensemble and ball gown (my wallet groans at the thought)? Also, I was planning on using green velvet and red fox fur but now I'm wondering if white fur might be the better option if I go the 1 skirt 2 bodice route. I am driving myself crazy with this and would love some input.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Ensemble with two bodices

Postby Heather » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:34 am

I think fur on a ballgown it not overly suitable. You might be able to get way with it for a Christmas party, but I think for anything else, not so much. I love the idea of making both day and evening bodices for a single skirt. But then I think you have to have a skirt style that works well for the two different uses. Fur is very specific, so might not be the best choice for what you want. I get that you love the look. I love it, too. But if money it tight, and you have to have a dress do double duty, then this might not be the best plan. Or maybe come up with a way to make the fur removable?

One thing to note on the fur, is that the 2 dresses have ermine on them. Which traditionally, only royalty can weary. (which might have something to do with why there is fur on these dresses to begin with.) So stay away from the ermine, if you are not royal. And if using just white fur, the hem will get filthy, especially if you are outdoors. So I prefer the red fox idea better than white.

And lastly, this dress should be exactly what you want it to be. So disregard anything/everything I say, and happily make the dress you really want. Just be ready to back up your decision, or blow off dissenters, if the need arises. 8) This is your dress.

P.s. I am so in love with the red dress. I have plans to make that one for myself.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Re: Ensemble with two bodices

Postby kellydofc » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:09 pm

Okay, two gowns it is then. I kind of thought that would end in being the case. I guess I'll forgo the silk velvet in favor of a standard triple velvet since it's about 1.5x less expensive and to be honest I can't really tell the difference anyway.
I'll go with a red or brown fur since that is my preference anyway. I never have liked ermine.
Thanks for the input Heather.

Return to “What do y'all think?”