flatlining underskirt

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

flatlining underskirt

Postby Quallus » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:19 pm

So, I'm using a light to medium weight cotton for the underskirt and definitely will flatline it so it will hang better. However, I'm not sure if it is necessary to place the darts in both fabric layers or if I can get away with just putting the darts in the fashion fabric and place the lining cotton over it. Also thought of making the darts in each layer seperately and then having one go to one side and the other to the opposite side. Trying to avoid bulkiness in the waistband.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: flatlining underskirt

Postby Heather » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:01 pm

It works best to put the darts in after flatlining. It keeps them smoother and really isn't bulky at all.
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:13 pm

Thanks Heather! :D
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:34 pm

Oops I forgot to ask if I need to flatline the back panel and then use the netting for the poufs or if the lining can be skipped since netting will be used? What is your personal preference?
Thanks. :)
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:11 pm

If you are flatlining the front, then you should do the back, too. Otherwise it might look a bit odd. However, with the lining, you probably don't need the netting. The netting is optional, anyway.
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:30 am

I see. I thought the netting was necessary so the bustle poufs have a better shape and hold. Wasn't sure if both were needed. I had thought of placing the netting on the top part for the poufs and just lining the bottom section. This is a whole new world for me. Thanks Heather for your help.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:17 am

When I first started costuming, I used netting to get big poufs. They work really well when you smash your dress in a closet for a year, when you pull it out again, the thing just pops right back up. But then I started to not put netting in poufs, and just let them do their thing. While they do come out a bit flatter, and a tad saggy, I really like the look better, personally. It just seems to look more natural, less "hollywood", for lack of a better term. So it will work either way, it just depends on what you want your poufs to look like. High and large, or natural and drapey. There is no wrong answer.
Quallus
Inquiring Mind

Postby Quallus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:50 pm

I did place the netting and now I'm removing it. I prefer the natural look and it is after all a day dress. :D
Thanks so much Heather.

Return to “What do y'all think?”