Fabric dating

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
katelanier
Window Shopper

Fabric dating

Postby katelanier » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:10 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128199040@N05/16259201932/
I found this lovely fabric at Walmart (one that still sells fabric!) for only $2/yard, and I'm not sure exactly about the dating. I'm thinking early-mid 19th century. (I'm hoping it would be okay for the 1830s) Thoughts?
"Let us be elegant or die." -Louisa May Alcott
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Fabric dating

Postby Heather » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:10 am

It's really hard to find modern prints that work well for 19th century. All the prints these days are made for quilters, not dressmakers, so the size of the prints and color choices are kinda off for dresses, any dress. Add to that, back in the day, there were hundreds of prints available, just like today, and we don't know what they all looked like, we only have a few samples. So anyone "dating" a print can only make generalizations of what we think a historical print should be. I am always running across museum and extant dresses made of prints/patterns that if I saw them in the store, I would never pick them for a historical gown. (I saw a 1890s brocade with Saturns on it, I kid you not.)

So my advice about prints/patterns. If you like it, use it happily and don't ask what anyone else thinks about it. Prints are a very individual taste, which is why there are thousands out there, and everyone likes/dislikes something different. (In other words, if you ask, you will get a lot of people tell you they don't like it, because they just don't like it.)

Once it is a dress, no one will look at the print, they will just see the dress. Then everyone will like it regardless of whether or not they would have chosen it.
katelanier
Window Shopper

Re: Fabric dating

Postby katelanier » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:49 pm

Thank you, Heather! Very wise words.
"Let us be elegant or die." -Louisa May Alcott

Return to “What do y'all think?”