Wishing Gown help

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
katelanier
Window Shopper

Wishing Gown help

Postby katelanier » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:49 am

I’m a huge fan of the musical Phantom of the Opera, and Christine is pretty much my favourite character of all time. One of her costumes is called the Wishing Gown, and it’s my favourite at the moment. I fancy myself a lot like her, and the song she sings while wearing this dress is special to me because my beloved grandfather passed away in 2013. Here are some pictures of it. http://operafantomet.tumblr.com/post/94885984152/more-or-less-clear-photos-of-the-wishing-dress The (gorgeous) silk taffeta is specially made for the show, but I have a source for a replica of it. The only problem is the cost. It would be over $300 just for the fashion fabric, not even counting the underwear, lining, or the accenting fabrics. I’m a student, so I don’t have that kind of money just laying around. I’m planning on saving for the real thing one day soonish, but I just can’t get this dress out of my head.
Here comes the good news. I found a rather similar fabric for much cheaper, but it is in a cotton. A nice cotton, but cotton nonetheless. I’m not very well-versed in bustle era clothing, so I don’t know the “rules” of using cotton vs silk. (1830s-1860s I know, but not 1870s). Anyway, my question is: would this gown be appropriate in a cotton with the trimmings and such? I’d probably use cotton velvet for the bodice details and maybe a solid cotton or silk for the waterfall drape in the skirt, if that makes any difference
"Let us be elegant or die." -Louisa May Alcott
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Wishing Gown help

Postby Heather » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:09 pm

Trying to find a good print in silk these days is near impossible. So yes, the cotton should be fine. Some days you just have to make do with what you can get, rather than barking forever at the moon chasing the unobtainable. Is it accurate? Well, the silk would be better, but there are cotton print dresses out there, too. Just not usually made up this nicely, is all. Use the cotton, and be happy with it. I would.
katelanier
Window Shopper

Re: Wishing Gown help

Postby katelanier » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:28 pm

Thank you, Heather. I will use the cotton, whenever I can actually find the time to make the dress. :)
"Let us be elegant or die." -Louisa May Alcott

Return to “What do y'all think?”