Embroidery/Beading on Gown opinion needed! Updated!

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Embroidery/Beading on Gown opinion needed! Updated!

Postby kellydofc » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:54 pm

I am in the process of making this ball gown, the one on the left, from Fashions of the Gilded Age http://www.pinterest.com/pin/457678380854823991/. I have been searching for over a week but I am absolutely unable to find a beading pattern for the bertha, front drape and skirt panels. I have expanded my search to embroidery patterns and am still having no luck finding anything that's not so crazy detailed it would be hard to do the pattern with beads. I am throwing myself on the mercy of my fellow dressmakers and asking if anyone knows where I can find victorian beading patterns or even examples of beading because I don't even know if I could outline a pattern or have to fill it all in or what. I am also open to alternate ideas for patterns, maybe there's something I haven't thought of. I need this gown to be done by the middle of January so I think I need to start beading asap.
Last edited by kellydofc on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Embroidery/Beading on Gown help!

Postby Heather » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:26 pm

This looks like a soutache pattern done in beading, instead of braid. I just did a google search for "soutache patterns" at tons of images pulled up. I am sure you can something you would like.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Re: Embroidery/Beading on Gown help!

Postby kellydofc » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:23 am

Thanks for the help. Off I go to look at soutache patterns.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Re: Embroidery/Beading on Gown opinion needed! Updated!

Postby kellydofc » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:19 pm

I have gotten my possible beading pattern for this gown Imagedown to two. This one, which is from an 1880 Worth ballgown Image or this one which is an 1860s soutache pattern Image
I love the first one but am unable to find marquise shaped sequins and I don't know if the design would look odd if I used beads of a similar shape or just got rid of the marquise shape altogether. The second one is also nice and I think will be easier to do with just beads. I'm stumped on this one so I am hoping to get some opinions.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Embroidery/Beading on Gown opinion needed! Updated!

Postby Heather » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:25 pm

Well, the first one is really just a section of beaded net sewn over the dress. Which is actually another choice, if you don't want to hand bead. Just find a beaded net. There are some wonderful laces out there that you can do this with.

I personally would go with the soutache pattern. The pattern is more historical looking, not quite so modern.

Return to “What do y'all think?”