My first ever bustle dress

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
marie-jeanne
Window Shopper

Re: My first ever bustle dress

Postby marie-jeanne » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:49 am

I didn't manage it :-(

I was still trying to finish the bodice when guests arrived. A neighbour handsew the train on to the waistband by hand. I had to make a lot of short cuts with the bodice. Instead of buttons, I put 12 hooks and eyes that kept going loose all the time. The ruffle was not what I wanted to do. I didn't see myself when entering the room, and everybody was very complimentary, so I thought I looked beautiful, but when I saw the pictures next day I was appalled. The bodice looked absolutely rubbish. All wrinkles. Not what it was planned to be.

All pictures with me in it, I have deleted. I kept one to show you and maybe you can advice what to do. My hubby is away for two weeks, and we agreed that I would try to fix it, so we can make some lovely pics I can be proud of.
What I had expected and want it to look like is the way my wedding dress looks. I had only bones in the corset, so the bodice fit snugly around me and I had a gorgeous figure. I still have that hour glass figure, but it didn't show in the dress at all. There was a lot of space between the bodice and the corset. Should I get rid of the bones in the bodice?

2014-10-27 10.24.05.jpg
My wedding dress
2014-10-27 10.24.05.jpg (160.63 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
Attachments
IMG_4615.jpg
The bodice
IMG_4615.jpg (118.63 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:01 am

You just need to do a little bit of fitting is all. It is hard to tell in the photo... does the bodice fit across the bust fine, or is it too loose at the bust? If you have extra there, then you can take the center front in so that it fits across the bust. Take the same amount off top to bottom. If the bodice fits fine at the bust, then don't take anything off the front. The darts end too low for you, so raise up the tip of the darts about 2". They should come up to just below the widest part of your bust. This by itself will make all the difference in the world. If there is extra room at the waist, make the darts larger as well as taller. I think these small changes will make everything so much better.
marie-jeanne
Window Shopper

Postby marie-jeanne » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:30 am

Thanks for the advice Heather. I adjusted already the train, so it's no how I wanted it. The bodice will be next.

Here are some pics from what's finished. Don't forget, all material from second hand shops, so maybe not the best options, but for a once off not bad I think. I will only wear it once again for the pictures next week and then it will go in the box with all the other outfits.

01.jpg
Drawers and Chemise made from single bedcover.
01.jpg (125.69 KiB) Viewed 3907 times

02.jpg
The corset, the only all new material part, and the bustle cushion.
02.jpg (146.5 KiB) Viewed 3907 times

03.jpg
The petticoat with the bustel ties, made from curtains
03.jpg (131.35 KiB) Viewed 3907 times

More to follow.
marie-jeanne
Window Shopper

Postby marie-jeanne » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:33 am

And the rest...

04.jpg
Underskirt from old curtains