Clara Oswald (barmaid) Dress

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
LDT2014
Costume Afflicted

Clara Oswald (barmaid) Dress

Postby LDT2014 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:50 am

Hi I'm hoping to sew myself a cosplay outfit of clara's from the Doctor Who episode The Snowmen.
ImageClara Dress 1 by LadyDeTemps, on Flickr
I have bought the fabric and ordered
TV170 & TV400
ImageClara Dress 1 by LadyDeTemps, on Flickr
This is my first attempt at a bustle dress. I was hoping to be able to use petticoat to make the skirt and try draping the apron freehand.
Do you think I need to make any bustle support for this particular outfit? Will the skirts sit ok or will I need to adjust for different support?
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Re: Clara Oswald (barmaid) Dress

Postby ljt » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:57 pm

This is an interesting read and should help decide the bustle support issue.
http://www.lissierose.com/#!clara-oswin-oswald/c1hgr
LDT2014
Costume Afflicted

Postby LDT2014 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:56 am

ljt wrote:This is an interesting read and should help decide the bustle support issue.
http://www.lissierose.com/#!clara-oswin-oswald/c1hgr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I managed to get in contact with lady in question on facebook last night. Got a few more details and suggestions that will help.

My other query was if the 'silky' material I'm using is synthetic (I'm just assuming its synthetic or a mix as it was half the price of the 100% silk at £5 a metre rather than £10) should I go all the way and flatline with a synthetic twill or use some cotton? Also I want it to be washable (by hand) so would cotton covered plastic boning be my best bet?

Its gonna get worn in the UK in October. And as its for cosplay I'm not looking to make it 100% authentic, more 'practical' but if it goes well I'll 'upgrade' it to be more authentic.

p.s. I have 3 corsets to choose from. 1 underbust, 2 overbust.
Last edited by LDT2014 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:12 am

I would flatline in cotton or cotton blend. Definitely pre-wash it, so it will pre-shrink and not cause issues in future washings. Man-made fabrics retain heat, so the natural fibers are always better for linings and such. I pretty much use cotton broadcloth or twill for everything, and have yet to have any issues, no matter what the content of the fashion fabric.

if you are washing by hand, then using metal stays won't be a problem. If your bodice is extending past your waist, down over your hip, I would recommend going with the steel boning. The plastic stuff just doesn't hold up well enough and tends to curl up with time and use. Even with TV400, which ends mostly at the waist, you will want steel boning at the front for the dip. Nothing worse than having your front point flip up at odd moments.

Go with an over-bust corset, rather than and under-bust corset.
LDT2014
Costume Afflicted

Postby LDT2014 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:20 am

Heather wrote:I would flatline in cotton or cotton blend. Definitely pre-wash it, so it will pre-shrink and not cause issues in future washings. Man-made fabrics retain heat, so the natural fibers are always better for linings and such. I pretty much use cotton broadcloth or twill for everything, and have yet to have any issues, no matter what the content of the fashion fabric.

I do also have some linen but I was saving that to make a chemise. As it cost me a pretty penny and was hard to find.

if you are washing by hand, then using metal stays won't be a problem. If your bodice is extending past your waist, down over your hip, I would recommend going with the steel boning. The plastic stuff just doesn't hold up well enough and tends to curl up with time and use. Even with TV400, which ends mostly at the waist, you will want steel boning at the front for the dip. Nothing worse than having your front point flip up at odd moments.

My cheap corset does that...flips up. lol! My custom one doesn't.
Won't the metal go rusty with the water?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:28 am

No, the flat steel bones are covered with white enamel, and then pasti-dip (?) stuff on the cut ends. They will not rust. Just be careful not to bend them during the wash.
LDT2014
Costume Afflicted

Postby LDT2014 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:44 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'm now getting dress envy from the dress clara wears in 'Deep Breath' episode. She seems to move pretty freely in it...I've always thought you had to glide in a stately fashion in a bustle dress...
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:07 am

I liked her new dress, too. I think it is her best one yet. I can see a lot of people making up this one.

And no, you can run around and play in bustle dress just fine. :bounce:
It i just easier to act stately, if you are going for the stately Victorian look. But they played tennis, danced all night, even went hiking in bustle dresses. you can pretty much do it all. Well everything accept raise your hands over your head, or reach your toes. :bang:
LDT2014
Costume Afflicted

Postby LDT2014 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:49 am

Heather wrote:I liked her new dress, too. I think it is her best one yet. I can see a lot of people making up this one.

And no, you can run around and play in bustle dress just fine. :bounce:
It i just easier to act stately, if you are going for the stately Victorian look. But they played tennis, danced all night, even went hiking in bustle dresses. you can pretty much do it all. Well everything accept raise your hands over your head, or reach your toes. :bang:

Well I wore a bustle dress to mcm London comicon (october 2014). Its meant to be a female 8th doctor. I borrowed the peplum from the Tv pattern to modify a waistcoat pattern. I wore it over a modern shirt but plan to make a proper bodice in the future. I had a lobster tail bustle support and one petticoat with the skirt over the top.
Probably need more drapery next time too and something for my hair as the wig I used kept sliding off (hence why I've cut my head off. lol).
It was as you said very comfy to move around in.
even did a bit of climbing
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:19 am

sounds like you had a great time! Love that color.
LDT2014
Costume Afflicted

Postby LDT2014 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:01 am

Heather wrote:sounds like you had a great time! Love that color.

thanks I'm planning on making a purple bodice (I might make the peplum scalop edged) to go with the green skirt (and a red wig) for a victorian Ariel look.

Return to “What do y'all think?”