Skirt on dress from The Prestige

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Skirt on dress from The Prestige

Postby gretagretchen » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:01 pm

I'm wondering what is going on with this skirt. Specifically curious about the billowing overlay on the side that goes to the back.

Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Skirt on dress from The Prestige

Postby Heather » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:24 pm

That is a really nice dress, for a movie dress. I think the side-puff thing is just a square of fabric tossed over the skirt. It looks pretty rushed and last minute compared to the rest of the dress, with it's impeccable tailoring and detail. Makes me think someone saw the dress the day before the shoot, and made them make changes. Or maybe not, you never know.

Anyway. Looks like they took a rectangle of fabric (most likely 45" wide x the skirt length + a few inches), gathered it at the top to the waistline, and then gathered it again half way down the skirt, sewing it to the skirt. Then it looks like the took the bottom front corner of square, and tucked it up into the midway gathers. Not sure what the back does, so I can't help you there. This treatment may just go all around the whole back, with the two pieces sewn together at a center back seem. But, I am seeing some rumples on the back side of the drape that look like the same corner-pulled-up as the front corner. Which would make the hem of this square of fabric wider than 45", so maybe it was 60" wide fabric? Or maybe the top pouf is narrower than the bottom, and two pieces where attached at the mid-way gathers?
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:51 pm

I don't know what's going on the back either as I couldn't find a photo of it.

I don't really like that poofy business but I feel like the back needs something if the front of the dress will be so fussy.

Maybe I could use the top overlay from the Parisian skirt for a bit of contrast -- or an easy fix for interest?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:57 pm

Actually, I think the back of the Hermione Overskirt would be the best way to go. http://www.trulyvictorian.net/tvxcart/product.php?productid=48&cat=4&page=1

Which really is pretty much what they used for the side drapes. So do the same thing in the back instead. In fact, if I was making this dress, I would use the top panniers of the Hermione and the back drape, omitting the under front drape. It would give you a similar style to what they did, but look way better.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:12 pm

What about the "arrow" pieces right in the front? I do like those but as I am short I don't know if I can do the side overlays and the arrows.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:04 pm

These are just triangles added over the top. They are called Reveres. Usually, you add them to the edge of something, so it looks like "corners folded back". But here, they just seem stuck on. They should have a lengthening effect when viewed from the front, so being short shouldn't be a problem. Again, if it were my dress, and I wanted to keep the reveres, I would create an edge for them to sit on. If you don't like the Hermione, then you might like the Split Pannier Overskirt instead. Then add the triangles to the front edge. http://www.trulyvictorian.net/tvxcart/product.php?productid=49&cat=4&page=1
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:42 pm

I like the Hermoine -- I just don't currently own it!

But I do have the split pannier one.
Frank815
Inquiring Mind

Postby Frank815 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:44 pm

Here is a decent shot of the back:

http://costumersguide.com/lindsay/lindsay13.jpg

I think just below the line of gathers at the knee, there is a small bustle creating that fold at the center back. there is also( in my opinion ) an unnecessary seam on the side back of the piece.

Also, the bodice is a near-replica of heathers two-tone bodice pattern, with a weird side seam at the waist.
My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts. That was then, this is my now...
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:58 am

Thanks for that shot Frank! Super helpful.

I'm not looking to do an exact copy, just to get the gist of it. I need one more fabric element and then I can get to work. Thanks!

Return to “What do y'all think?”