Met Museum Piece

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
diana
Master Gabber

Met Museum Piece

Postby diana » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:24 pm

Heather: I'm starting to create this museum piece but I can't figure out what is going on with the embroidered panel at the back waist. Is this attached (or should be attached) to the bodice itself? Or perhaps there is a pouf at the top where it attaches to the skirt....hmmm... Any suggestions?

I'm planning on using the late bustle 4 gore underskirt without poufs. BTW this dress is 1889.

Here's a link to the side of the dress: http://www.metmuseum.org/collections/se ... 2794?img=1
Attachments
museum back.jpg
museum back.jpg (87.73 KiB) Viewed 6303 times
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Met Museum Piece

Postby Heather » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:17 pm

The embroidered panels are coming off the bodice. Most likely, the panel is sewm on with the edge pointing downwards and it then flips over the the bump.
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:15 pm

I was afraid of that. I'd rather have it attached to the skirt. Oh well, my dress will be "inspired" by this museum piece and not an actual reproduction. Thanks for the quick reply!

BTW, do I just tack the velvet panels over the top of the skirt or sew it into the side seams? I DO want to get that full look of the brown satin back.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:00 pm

You can most likely do it either way, depending on how you want it all to go together.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:55 pm

It takes a few days, but you can send an email to the Met with your questions and a link to the dress you are inquiring on, and they will send you detail pictures and info. They just did that for me in the past week.
mark.joseph@metmuseum.org is the gentleman who helped me.
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:30 pm

Thank you so much!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Now repeat after me, Diana. It is OKAY if you don't piece together a creation off a museum piece EXACTLY!

I'm too picky and want it to be exact but unfortunately I don't have enough fabric.

The problem is....I couldn't find satin to match the embroidered satin panel fabric so for the bodice, I will use the wide plain satin that runs down the middle of each embroidered "panel." But I don't have enough of this plain fabric to use for the back breadth of the skirt. Unless I piece it together...hmmm, it will mostly be hidden by the panels anyway.

Or I could just end my angst and use the brown velvet for the back breadth as well and have the 2 embroidered panels over that.

Any suggestions before I go hang myself?
Diana

Mississippi Diamond

Return to “What do y'all think?”