crowning glory

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
Iris
Inquiring Mind

crowning glory

Postby Iris » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:59 pm

This may not be the right category, so if not, please move to the correct one.
I live in an historic district so of course I greet trick or treaters every Halloween dressed as if I lived here when the house was new. Two households of neighbors think we should have a block party and make everyone dress the era of their house, but I don't see that as a strong possibility.
If we do, they'll have the same costuming issue I have: hair. Mine is slightly wavy but very fine and slippery. It didn't hold up to the late 1890s style I tried to copy. All the magazine pix show curly hair, so I'm guessing they permed it or rolled it somehow I wasted time on four or five YouTube videos on how to put it up. I do save hair for rats, but I think there's a trick to using them I haven't figured out.
Short of wigs, any suggestions?
Rhiarti
Window Shopper

Re: crowning glory

Postby Rhiarti » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:16 am

From everything I've read, hair pieces were common in Victorian stylings. Either way, you're not alone in struggling to get your lovely fine hair to play nicely!

You could try a sock bun to get some simple volume: http://pinterest.com/pin/145100419215774156/

Thereafter, I warmly recommend looking on eBay or Amazon for a "jumbo kanekalon braid" to match your hair colour and adding any additional requirements using that. I found it surprisingly natural looking, and managed to get a perfect match for my natural hair colour, opening up a whole world of possibilities for extensions and pre-set pieces to clip or tie in.

Love the idea of the street party!
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:24 am

I did a passable Gibson Girl style on a young lady using a braided switch pinned into a bun at the crown of her head. We curled her hair (hot rollers I think) and then pinned sections back and up around the hairpiece. Backcombing and hairspray were the order of the day.

I've seen one woman do a style using a rat that looks like a halo. It sits round the head and she pins sections back over it. I didn't bookmark it and of course now I can't find it.

Check youtube for videos of 'Pentecostal hairstyles'. I saw one where a woman with the very long hair that they wear uses a butterfly clip as the base of her style. Even if you don't have the masses of hair that a Pentecostal woman has the butterfly clip is genius! There are all sizes from little baby clips on up and they really grab and help make a solid base for swirly/curly/poufy updo hairstyles

Have you considered going to a salon? A stylist might show you some techniques and products that could help.

A big second on the Kanekalon!
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Postby Iris » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:29 pm

I don't know what Kanekalon is, but I do have a thick, long switch I've been using for 1860s buns that matches my hair. I hadn't thought of using it as a base, but it sounds worth trying. Halo rats, eh? The part that doesn't work for me is my hair is so slippery, it won't stay around a rat. Guess I shouldn't wash it for a few days before an event.
We won't even try with a hairdresser, unless it's my next-door neighbor. Her roommates think we're very much alike, despite a 30-year age difference. "Normal" hairdressers have problems with my letting it grow long enough to put up at all. I've tried five.
Hot rollers sounds like a plan, too. I'll let you know how it works out.
Thanks, both!
Rhiarti
Window Shopper

Postby Rhiarti » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:16 am

Iris wrote:I don't know what Kanekalon is

It's a particular type of synthetic hair that has a very natural feel to it, comes in a huge range of colours, plays nicely with hot irons etc and, best of all, is usually very affordably priced!

An aside, but I've learned to avoid hairdressers like the plague too! :D They always insist on giving me layers (which have never once worked with my hair type), despite specific instructions to the contrary, so nowadays I just cut it myself.
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Rather than trying someone who cuts hair, look for someone who is used to styling hair in "updo's" See if you can get some pictures of suitable hairstyles and have a chat with some. Pay a visit to a couple of bridal boutiques for recommendations.

I've got very long hair (hip length) and its quite fine but strong. It means it doesnt take a curl very well at all and to be honest, other than for very special occasions, I dont have the time or the facilities for complex updo's. I have a series of about 8 hairpieces which I use. The most used one is one with lots of longish curls, almost like loose ringlets. It fits over my hair when its put into a bun. It means my own hair is pulled tightly into a band which means I have something I can firmly attach my hats to.

Are you wanting to do late 1890's or a different date?

Tiffers
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Postby Iris » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:44 pm

What a wonderful bunch of women are on this forum! Thanks Rhiarti and Tiffers for your suggestions. Tiffers, I danced for so many years I just can't get myself into the "pull it back and tack it tight on top" mode anymore. I have very prominent bones (an ex-boyfriend said like Jack Palance) and it's too harsh now. But I love the idea of sets of pin-on pieces. Very period-appropriate, too.
Yes, I'm pretty well stuck in the 1890s, with a little overlap into the preceding and following decades.

Return to “What do y'all think?”