Vested look for Dinner Bodice or Tail Bodice?

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
Jessa
Window Shopper

Vested look for Dinner Bodice or Tail Bodice?

Postby Jessa » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:18 pm

I'd like to make natural form a dress using the Hermione Overskirt, and add a vest-style inset to the bodice. Yes, I know the Two-Tone Bodice does this, but I really like the sweatheart neckline and pointed bottom edge on TV462 (Tail Bodice) and TV422 (Dinner Bodice). Which one would work best for this outfit? Any tips on how to put it together for this effect?

I plan to make the bodice body and overskirt from this black and grey cotton damask:
http://www.joann.com/colorbok-premium-q ... 11712692a/
For the vest inset and trimming I'm thinking of using dark purple silk, perhaps with lighter lavender accents.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Re: Vested look for Dinner Bodice or Tail Bodice?

Postby gretagretchen » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:21 am

I did that on my nerfpunk outfit. I used the dinner bodice pattern. I put the vest seam going up the first dart line.
Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Vested look for Dinner Bodice or Tail Bodice?

Postby Heather » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:23 am

Exactly what gretagretchen said. Convert the front dart into a seam. On your pattern, draw a line from the tip of the dart to the neckline, making a shape you want the vest to be. Then add seam allowance to both sides of your new line and inside of your dart, and you have a seam. The vest will follow the front leg of the dart, the back leg of the dart being the seam for the front.

Return to “What do y'all think?”