Viking Emerald sewing machine

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Viking Emerald sewing machine

Postby Iris » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:02 am

This really isn't a new thread, but I could get the board to go back to where I was looking up the discussion on new sewing machines.
My Singer Golden Touch, a present in 1969, is going to cost almost $200 to tune and repair. The tech suspects the motor is going. Gosh, after 43 years you think the poor thing might be tired?
If I trade it in, they're only going to give me $25 toward a new machine, but they'll also throw in a free tune-up in a year, worth about $70. I'm looking at a Viking/Husqvarna Emerald 116 and the sales lady also recommended a Singer 7430. She said Singer is now owned by Viking/Husqvarna and that, although Singer has had bad press in recent years, it's producing much better machines since the acquisition.
Before I fork over $249 plus at least $20 in sales tax, I'd appreciate opinion from people who sew the kinds of fabrics I sew.
Thanks in advance for all two-cents you want to toss in.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Re: Viking Emerald sewing machine

Postby Miss Cindy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:05 pm

If I remember correctly, Miss Heather owns one of the Emeralds and she really likes it. I have a Viking Prelude and it is a workhorse for me. I like that the Vikings are made with quality parts not everything is plastic and will break in nothing flat.
I hope that helps. :)
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:57 pm

I bought the Emerald 122, when it first came out. I think now the 118 is the same as what I have, and they discontinued the 122. I love love this machine. It is the best $250 you can spend, I kid you not. I would recommend this machine over any other one sold for under $2500.

I used to say it was the best machine ever, but then a bought a used Designer I, and I now have to admit, if you spend over $4000 (new), you do get a better machine.
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Postby Iris » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Thank you for your recommendations. They aren't going to sell me a 118 for $250, just the 116. I'll keep shopping to see if I can find a lower price. There are lined curtains to make that are using blackout liner (gonna kill the needles) and some other home dec projects that have to happen before I can relax and play with dress-up clothes. I want to make sure whatever I buy can handle heavy fabric without choking.
If a machine can survive what Heather must put it through, it probably is worth the money.
Thanks, again.
Rhiarti
Window Shopper

Postby Rhiarti » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:33 am

I got a Viking 118 based on the Husqvarna love I'd seen on Truly Victorian, and can honestly say it was love at first stitch! To the best of my knowledge, the main difference between 118 and 116 is the number of stitch options? I can't say I ever feel a particular need to venture beyond straight, zigzag, and three step zigzag, but as far as I can tell from the manual, you still have all the more useful fancy stitches to play with on a 116!

Interesting about Husqvarna taking over Singer manufacture. A shame for Singer, but good news for us!
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Postby Iris » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:02 pm

So glad you're loving your 118 and 122 Vikings. The 118 is $390 something, firm, no trade in discount. The 116 is $299 but she'll give me $50 off if I trade in my Golden Touch 'n Sew. Checking ebay I found no one successfully selling them for more than $50. Liked the Pfaff Hobby 1142 also, but its motor has an annoyingly high pitched whine. Am I nuts to get a machine with fewer features but better sound quality? Oh, the Pfaff sale is a $499 machine for $287, no trade-in.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:18 pm

I bought a used Pfaff that is a total POS machine. I heard that most of them are nice, and that I must have gotten a lemon of a machine. But it is a very wimpy expensive machine. Every time a hit a pin, it throws the timing off and has to go in for repair. When I complained, they told me not to sew over pins. Last time I got it fixed, I put it in the closet still wrapped in plastic, 5 years ago. I haven't even looked at it since.
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Postby Iris » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:28 pm

Wow, Heather, that sounds awful. At least my Touch 'n Sew would bend the pins or break the needle, but it never threw off the timing. When I did a test run Monday afternoon, the lady said to take the pins out before I sewed my sample piece. Well, I'm not going to take out pins when I'm trying to get stripes to miter perfectly. Lucky I didn't hit any pins during the test!
Two friends pointed out that even if the Pfaff has more bells and whistles, the high-pitched motor noise is going to make sewing unpleasant. I think the low-end Viking is the way to go.
BTW, it was supposed to hit over 100 F. in Burbank today -- while we are dipping into the 50s. Hope Riverside was cooler. Either way, it's indoor weather.
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Postby Iris » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Thanks all for the sewing machine recommendations. Bought the Viking 116.
California visitors expected Thurs. AM so I'm sewing like crazy. I'm really, really liking the Viking/Husqvarna machine.
So far it has made rod pockets for cotton lace curtains -- disregard the directions on which presser foot to use or it'll catch every bride in the lace, sewed upholstery fabric to thin cotton backing and even hemmed a plastic shower curtain. (I live in an old house. The tub is under a sloped roof so the curtain rod is low and there's an extra foot of every pre-made shower curtain that has to be cut and hemmed.)
I did everything according to the instruction book for the first couple of small projects, but it's such a logical machine design, it's easy to get going after a couple of experiments.
Don't know if I'll finish the dining room curtains and the guest room bedspread before they arrive, but that little Viking does a great job. And it just hums quietly.

Return to “What do y'all think?”