Making reproduction of this dress

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Making reproduction of this dress

Postby ljt » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:45 pm

I am making a reproduction of this dress for a style show I am giving in a few weeks. This dress was donated to the Nebraska State Historical Society in Lincoln. It is the wedding dress worn in Pilger, Ne. I will be giving my style show for their Q125th.

Just need some clarification on the back of the polanise, if you can see it. Is it a tailed back in the rear with sides gathered and attached?

Sorry for bad quality. I am pretty sure how I will be doing this but just need so reassurance before I start cutting.

Thanks Loretta
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Making reproduction of this dress

Postby Heather » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:16 pm

It looks to me like pleats in the back seams. You could use the Tail Bodice back, with the polonaise front.
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Postby ljt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:26 am

Thanks Heather, that is what I was thinking.
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Postby ljt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Thought I would post the finished product. It is the only photo I have of it right now. Was a huge hit at my style show. The original is on display at the Nebraska State History Museum in Lincoln Ne. Most of the dresses on display are the dresses of Governer's wives. This dress was worn by Andrina Ingebrits Nelson on her wedding day in 1876 when she married Paul Nelson(a native of Denmark) in Pilger, NE, , they farmed and raised dairy cows in Stanton, County Nebraska
I presented my style show on Saturday July 21, 2012 as part of their town's Q125 celebration. After my show the great-grandson of the couple came and introduced the family. They didn't know that the dress was in the state museum.
I hope to get more photos up soon, I would like to replace the buttons when I can find the right kind.
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:32 pm

I made a polonaise like this a few years back. I used the teagown pattern, cut it accordingly; pleated the side seams a bit; then sewed that curtain gathering tape (2 strings inside the tape) to the side back seams and gathered them up to achieve that pulled up from side front to back look.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond

Return to “What do y'all think?”