Not sure where this dress is going, but here's the skirt...

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Not sure where this dress is going, but here's the skirt...

Postby rajani » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:30 am

I am totally undecided on what kind of dress this is going to turn out to be. I have the skirt the way I want it, though. I can't wear a low cut ball gown top unless it's modified a bit, but willing to attempt the modification if the skirt is really screaming to be a ball skirt. What about an evening dress? I know they wore trained skirts as walking dresses or promenade gowns, too (have seen this in fashion plates from the period). A walking dress would make a hat more of a possiblity, and I love making the matching hats....

There are two colors in the skirt... a striped silk taffeta in peach, gold, cream, and taupe, and a solid silk taffeta in gold. Ruffles are alternating colors and edged with handmade bias tape in the contrasting fabric. This is hard to see in the photo as my lighting isn't the best today but it is really much much more beautiful in person than in this picture.

This will have a modified pannier overskirt over it made out of the peach stripe fabric (3/4 done with it) but it won't look like the regular pannier due to the way I plan to drape it.

Suggestions for the top????
Attachments
IMG_0002_5.jpg
IMG_0002_5.jpg (105.77 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Re: Not sure where this dress is going, but here's the skirt...

Postby kellydofc » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:38 am

I like the idea of a walking dress personally.
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Postby ljt » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:12 pm

I see a parasole in the stripe and a top with sleeves a different fabric than the bodice to give it a vest look.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:54 pm

I just love that skirt!

I vote walking dress. I hope you have enough of the stripe to make a ruffle-y parasol. Points to you for going in without a clear idea of the outcome! Every time I do that it gets weird. :lol:
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain

Return to “What do y'all think?”