New Year's Resolutions

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

New Year's Resolutions

Postby Andrea L » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:28 am

So it's 2012 for most of the world by now, which made me think about New Year's resolutions. Anybody have any sewing/costuming related things on your list? Any UFOs that haven’t made it out of the pile, new projects to start, or some other type of creative endeavor you haven’t tried?

I have a few things, other than finishing my current project:

1. Make gloves, out of fabric, then maybe leather.

2. Make hair switches. If you knew me in real life, you would laugh, because I’m one of those people who just throws their hair back in a ponytail and forget it. But Lynn McMasters’s tutorial doesn’t seem too terribly complicated, and the hair is inexpensive, so why not at least try? Styling my hair will be a different matter...

3. Learn how to properly resize patterns for a future project or my Fall/Winter dress. Which reminds me…

4. Make a Fall/Winter dress out of my black and red twill. Specifics forthcoming because I can't make up my mind...

5. Make a Renaissance dress before May, nothing fancy, just basic middle class wear. If I want elaborate costuming, I’ll stick to Victorian clothing. ^_^

So what about you?
Laura
Costume Afflicted

Re: New Year's Resolutions

Postby Laura » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:17 am

Happy New Year to you Andrea and to all reading.
I am with you in the hair in a pony tail-all-the-time and need hair pieces to do any styling. I bought a few long ones at costume college. Now would be a good time to get them out and style them up. Dickens is next weekend here in Riverside CA so need something early-mid Victorian. Now to wear the 1840's dress or the 1860's?

My resolution this year is to actually FINISH a garment. I have three started from last year and nothing finished. I keep seeing new things I want to start but never complete anything. So it is time to crack down. Do the finish work. Make the item wearable. Then I can in good conscious move on to a new project.

With that in mind today I am sewing a 1904 cream Quaker lace gown over lavender lining. I had purchased three new matching oval table cloths to cut it out from. I have the skirt finished and just need sleeves and back closure to complete. I had planned to wear this to our Twelfth Night progressive dinner in our local historical homes.

Hmmm. Now to take one of those pony tail hair pieces and do Gibson styling. Thanks for the idea.

Much to do on this sunny beautiful New Years Day.
Laura
Laura
Truly Victorian Honorary Team Member
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Postby Iris » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:39 am

Good words of encouragement from you both.
Laura, it's sleeting, snowing and the wind is rising to 30mph. Enjoy SoCal.
But it's a good day to finish those lined curtains (grr - the top fabric is sagging at the edges) and when I do, I can use my birthday TV gift certificate. That's incentive enough.
Iris
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:41 am

My New Year's Resolution is to use down my stash. It's getting crazy in my workshop. Image

And I resolve to get serious about a red/black dress!
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Postby ljt » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Fot the first two months I will be neck deep in wedding mode. My daughter is getting wed on March 2nd and I will be making 4 attendent dresses, 10 vest/tie sets and the wedding gown. Might even make myself something.:)

After that I really want to make 1.a red with black polka dot dress, probably 1860's.
2. a drummer boy uniform for my son civil war
3. Titanic outfit all layers
4. a driving coat with hat 1914
not in order but these are my main goals for the year.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:30 pm

My resolution is to get patterns beyond the drafting stage. To curb my ADD and get the patterns to a marketable stage before moving on to new stuff. I used to be able to get a pattern out the door in a matter of weeks, but now it is taking months. I seem to loose interest once the pattern is drafted. I was talking to Laura about this the other day, and I counted 5 patterns that I currently have drafted to some degree and need to be tested/final prepped.

Though it's not all my fault... I have been waiting for 2 weeks for Laura to proof read my instructions on the 1861 Evening Dress.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Postby kellydofc » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:32 pm

1. Grow my sewing business enough so that it will support me since my unemployment will run out soon. Think this is actually going to happen! :D
2.I would love to finish several projects I have started.
3. Find fabric I like for my Civil War sheer. I am in my mid 30s but I am constantly told I look like I am in my mid to late 20s. Does everyone think that it too old to use a fabric with a white background? I wanted blue fabric like this http://www.thegracefullady.com/civilwargowns/images/originalgarments/sheergowns/vneckedgown3.jpg with the print on a blue background but that seems impossible to find.
4. Make a ballgown, either Civil War or 1870s bustle, or both.
5. Find somewhere to wear all my fab new bustle outfits!
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Postby rajani » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:08 pm

kellydofc wrote:1. Grow my sewing business enough so that it will support me since my unemployment will run out soon. Think this is actually going to happen! :D

This is my resolution also. Not that I have unemployment running out, but I work at a job I hate right now and I'd really like to do what I love - sewing, art, and generally "creating" - and I have a small business now that I am trying to grow into something more than occasional income. To that end, my darling husband is helping me remodel my sewing room. New everything - paint, mouldings, hardwood flooring, cabinets, and countertops enough to support three machines including my new Brother Laura Ashley and my new serger, and a big pattern cutting/assembly space. There will also be a rolling foldaway table, built-in ironing board and other extras for my painting and drawing projects and my laptop computer. We just got the room cleaned out and are prepping for the painting. Spent 5 hours at IKEA today looking at cabinetry and getting ideas for layout and design of the room. I can't sew on my current project right now because everything is boxed up and in storage, but when this is done, it will be SO awesome and there will be NO excuse not to be doing, doing, doing! I can't wait for the room to be done!
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:07 pm

This year I will:

Run a half marathon. It's Feb 12, I've been training for 6 weeks, and it's time to really crack the whip and up my mileage. Reward: better health, more energy, less flab, and that FABULOUS 60s wiggle dress at my favorite vintage shop that I need a few less inches to fit into ;)

Sew a 1912 mini-wardrobe. This includes a combo, corset, princesse slip, day dress, evening ensemble, and HATS. Reward: a 1912 wardrobe is its own reward!

Finish my M.S. I need to: complete my proposal, organize my data and analyze it (organization is the far more difficult task!), write up my thesis and defend it. Sounds like a lot less work than it is. Reward: better job prospects, and the opportunity to move north to be with my sweetie.

:bday: Here's to 2012! :bday:
:fence:
SarahMiller42
Costume Afflicted

Postby SarahMiller42 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:49 pm

1. finish the black cotton velvet outfit I had meant to have done for Christmas outings and at least one overskirt for it. (I have a red silk trimmed with silver silk pleating and black cotton velvet trim that just need the waist band for this outfit. I plan one in Yellow for an event in March but then I have to do a yellow and black hat.)
2. Make the blue wool outfit for ordinary meet ups.
3. Make the camouflage Steampunk outfit.
4. Get the treadle sewing machine in sewing condition and use it on one of the above outfits.

Return to “What do y'all think?”