PATTERN PAPER

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
diana
Master Gabber

PATTERN PAPER

Postby diana » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:58 pm

For those of you who don't cut your patterns but instead transfer them to large pattern paper, where do you buy your rolls? I see Joanns doesn't have them online and the reviews for amazon.com say better paper can be found for less elsewhere (but they forget to say where!).
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Re: PATTERN PAPER

Postby ljt » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:21 pm

I buy banner paper at wal-mart for about $9.
marylou426

Postby marylou426 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:33 pm

I use freezer paper
Kit
Costume Afflicted

Postby Kit » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:34 pm

I go to the local "Everything's a Dollar" store and grab their tissue paper because it's easy to see through it for pattern lines and alterations. Once I've worked it all out and/or made the outfit, I transfer it to the very same Walmart banner paper mentioned above :)
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris - If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar
http://amsterdamesshop.com/Home_Page.php
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:43 pm

It looks like Joann has a grid type of pattern paper in their interfacing section, which is essentially what pattern paper is, unless you're talking about bond paper. But that's what I think of when someone mentions it, or stuff without lines.

I use freezer paper for patterns that change, like when I'm doing a mockup for a bodice. For actual pattern tracing cloth, Swedish pattern tracing cloth, I usually buy it off of Ebay, $13 for a 30in wide, 10yd roll. I like it because it's crisper than the grid interfacing that I've seen, durable, and it unwrinkles super fast with just a warm iron.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0712651996

You can search for swedish tracing paper and get other sites that sell it. Fabric.com also tells tracing paper, not sure if it's the same stuff, by the yard, and it's 45in wide for $2.15/yd. They have a coupon thing going on starting monday, so you can get 15% off that.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:41 pm

I use Pellon's Easy Pattern white, non-woven tracing material. Ninety percent viscose, 10% polyester, 54 inch or so wide, $2.50/yd. It's essentially the Swedish tracing stuff Andrea mentioned. I wait for the 50% off JoAnn coupon and grab a whole bolt.

I prefer it to paper because it drapes nicely for pin-fitting and such.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks, everyone!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Postby SarahS » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:42 pm

Another handy thing for patterns you'll reuse are rolls of clear plastic sheeting, use felt tip markers to draw on them.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Postby kellydofc » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:38 pm

I use muslin for my patterns. I find it helpful because it can be used as my toile and then all the changes I need to make are marked on it. The next time I make that particular item I pull out the muslin and it requires very little adjustment, assuming my weight hasn't changed too much.

Return to “What do y'all think?”