Wedding Gown

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
ladymay
Costume Afflicted

Wedding Gown

Postby ladymay » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:15 am

Merry Christmas!

I am making a wedding dress using TV 463, TV 225, & TV361. I have made all 3 so should not be a big issue with the basic construction. The bride wants the Butterfly Train, vest portion of the bodice, and the front panel of the fantail to be lace & satin, treated as 1 piece of fabric. The lace she has chosen has a 30% vertical stretch. My question is will it work if I baste the fabric & lace together...the satin is heavy and has no stretch and the lace is feather weight.
THX! :)
And my God shall supply all your need, according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Phil. 4: 19
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Re: Wedding Gown

Postby smt22 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:38 am

I am sure it would work. It sounds lovely!
Susan T
"Dear me, let us be elegant or die!" - Little Women
Gemma
Costume Afflicted

Postby Gemma » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:32 am

Hmm. I'd be a little concerned with the fact that the lace is stretchy, in case it stretches after you attach it to the satin and leaves you with ugly wrinkles and saggyness. Could you test it, just sew a big square of lace to a backing fabric and let it hang for a couple of days?
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:21 am

Would it work if you basted the lace at intervals so the weight is minimal for each section and it might not stretch as much? I'm not sure if this would work, never worked with stretchy material before.
ladymay
Costume Afflicted

Postby ladymay » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Got the fabric & lace today...a 30% stretch is a great deal of stretch. I have decided to bead the Butter Fly Train, however, there is sooooo much stretch to the lace I am not sure this is going to work at all! AAAHRRRRGGH :bang: Bride has her heart set on this lace! HELP! Should I just go for it???
And my God shall supply all your need, according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Phil. 4: 19
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:28 pm

It shouldn't be much of a problem, if you connect it to the satan. I would "quilt" it to the satin, sewing around some of the lace motifs so it is not really noticeable. I you keep the open spaces to 12" or less, I doubt that anyone will even realize it is stretchy. In fact, that stretch can help on your bodice. You can place it onto the bodice font over the darts, rather than into them, or skip over other seams. The stretch will allow it to shape over the curves and give a "seamless" look to the bodice.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Heather wrote:It shouldn't be much of a problem, if you connect it to the satan.

A Freudian typo revealing your feelings about sewing on satin and/or wedding dresses..? Image
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Oops, sorry! I can't type at all. :mrgreen: If I had known it high school that I would spend hours a day typing, I would have paid more attention in my typing class.
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:26 am

Nah. I'm good with the "typo." ;)
:fence:
ladymay
Costume Afflicted

Postby ladymay » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Ladies ~ Thought I would share the brides latest idea...she does not want to wear any type of petticoat with her dress. She is concerned that it will make her butt look too big! I am frustrated...without a foundation the skirt & butterfly train will look...well ridiculous. :bang: Since I have made this dress for myself & we are close enough in sizes, I am going to have her put it on today, sans petticoat, and let her see the back. I can just imagine the back of this beautiful butterfly train all flat against her butt. Wish me luck!
ladymay
Costume Afflicted

Postby ladymay » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:20 am

OH YES!!! For the record the lace idea didn't work. Lace had no body would have had to place the beads no more than 6 or so inches apart & 30% stretch is a lot of stretch. We are going to Tucson to look at lace on Fri.
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:18 pm

What? She doesn't want to wear a petticoat underneath her dress? What is she going to wear then, just her stockings and underwear?

Like some people said on the posts about the woman not wanting to wear a corset, you have to have the proper undergarments for it to look right. I didn't think that my NF petticoat would do much, especially since I didn't use stiff netting for the back, but it was just enough to fill out the skirt correctly. It doesn't add weight, and it barely adds bulk except where it's needed.

I wasn't aware that Victorian clothing made your butt look big. Considering you're covering it up, oh, three, four times? Bloomers, chemise (or combo), petticoat, and skirt. Plus she'll have the train back there too. I'd say Victorian clothing is one of the better styles of wedding dresses to hide your butt!
Kit
Costume Afflicted

Postby Kit » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Inquiring minds want to know, did she like it with no petticoat or did she learn something about wearing Victorian without proper undergarments? :shock:
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris - If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar
http://amsterdamesshop.com/Home_Page.php
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Postby kellydofc » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:35 pm

ladymay wrote:OH YES!!! For the record the lace idea didn't work. Lace had no body would have had to place the beads no more than 6 or so inches apart & 30% stretch is a lot of stretch. We are going to Tucson to look at lace on Fri.

I hope she agreed to wear the petticoat. I never understand why people pick a Victorian style dress and then say they don't want to wear a corset or a petticoat or whatever. Then of course they get upset when it doesn't look the way they imagined it would. Sigh.
I wish you good luck with the lace hunt. Hey at least you'll be with her this time to keep her from getting something with stretch. Though for the life of me I can't remember the last time I saw any decent lace here in Tucson. I have given up and order all mine online.
ladymay
Costume Afflicted

Postby ladymay » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:31 am

OK! We are going to look for lace today! Plan to take the bride to Joann's...she wants metallic threads in the lace. She wants to be shinning when she walks down the aisle. Almost have her convinced to wear at least 1 petticoat! so things are looking up :shock: Now on to Tucson. Hope we don't have to make a trip to Phoenix!
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Postby Iris » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:50 am

When "What Not To Wear" began, the stylists had a tag line about handing everything over to them and doing exactly what they said. Maybe it's time for this lady to hear something like that? If she does it your way, she's going to be happy. If she keeps on tweaking, she isn't going to see what she hopes for.
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Postby rajani » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:25 pm

Andrea L wrote:I wasn't aware that Victorian clothing made your butt look big. Considering you're covering it up, oh, three, four times? Bloomers, chemise (or combo), petticoat, and skirt. Plus she'll have the train back there too. I'd say Victorian clothing is one of the better styles of wedding dresses to hide your butt!

Hahahah Andrea! I was thinking if someone absolutely doesn't want their butt to look big, maybe Victorian clothing just simply isn't for them....as in, BUSTLE..... hello..... and even the Natural Form gowns have a lot going on in the back (think Pannier overskirt). It just amazes me how people don't think these things through. Hilarious.
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:33 pm

I was thinking about bustle=butt looks big when I first got into Victorian clothing, and I didn't like it, but after I tried it out, it's such a falsified looking hump that no one can associate that with the woman's original butt size, big or not. Or, even better example, an 1860s dress.

I'm not large by any standards, but I don't like drawing attention to my butt either. So I love Victorian skirts because the pieces get wider on the way down, and the gathered back obscures the "curve" back there. Still, I think, as the vast amount of pictures here and in the gallery prove, Victorian dresses work well for many body types.
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Postby rajani » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Not to mention that the corset pinches the waist in and puts your boobs back where they should be (for us old folks!), giving you nice curves no matter what your size is.

I was kind of being facetious on my last comment. I actually find Victorian clothing very very flattering. I have a big butt, saggy boobs, and weigh more than I should, but when I put on one of those gorgeous dresses, I look 15 years younger. And yes, there is a lot going on on the backside, but because everything else is in proportion, the eyes don't see it as "big".
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:10 am

I figured you were. But I can see where people who aren't used to the clothing might think that way. It's kinda like "Pick a year, and something will look good on you! It will hide what you want to hide and accent (most) of what you want to accent!" I say most because the corset I made magically makes my breasts disappear. Which gives me a reason to make another one with bust gores. Like any of us need a reason to make anything!

But anyway...we sorta strayed off topic a bit. Or more liked skirted around the issue for a while. Yeah, boo at the pun. How goes it, ladymay?

Return to “What do y'all think?”