Ushist Menswear?

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
aimeekitty
Window Shopper

Ushist Menswear?

Postby aimeekitty » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:13 am

I need some advice on whether I'm going the right direction for my husband's mid-1800's Victorian outfit. :) I'm not sure who to ask because most people (including me) only know about the ladies! :)

I'm probably going to make the waistcoat (perhaps this pattern?)
http://www.pastpatterns.com/018.html
but to save myself heartache and time (and more time for dresses for me) I thought I might buy one of the frockcoats from this seller:
http://www.ushist.com/mens_1800s_clothi ... -war.shtml
Specifically: 1850 On (Victorian: Civil War / Old West) coat. I liked the larger collar on it?

I thought perhaps ushist's custom coats would be of better quality than the typical Wahmaker one? My husband is kinda picky about menswear since he wears suits to work, and I'm ok with that. :3

Do you know of anyone who has ordered from ushist...?
or do you know of any other nice frock coat buying options?
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Re: Ushist Menswear?

Postby Miss Cindy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:18 am

I will be diving into this very soon. I plan to make the vest and coat from LM patterns.
But I did come across this site.
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/mens_ ... othing.php
They look to have some fun men's clothing. I have not ordered from either site, yours or this one.
I am sure someone here can give you some excellent advise.
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:22 am

I've ordered from Gentleman's Emporium and was pleased with the accessories I bought for my husband's outfits. I didn't buy his frock coat, I made that, what with me being a tailoring geek. I like that people can leave feedback on everything. The shipping was fast and other folks I've talked with say if you need to call, their customer service is very nice.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
loretta t
Costume Afflicted

Postby loretta t » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:29 am

I have made the laughing moon frock coat and also the buckaroo bobbins frock and the LM was easier to understand.
My grandma always said I was an old soul in a new body.
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:16 am

The Laughing Moon menswear patterns are really good, especially the waistcoat. My husband made himself a waistcoat and frock coat, the first clothing of any kind that he had ever sewn, and while he's still getting better now with each one he makes, even the first ones turned out pretty great. I couldn't believe how well they fit.
Susan T
"Dear me, let us be elegant or die!" - Little Women
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:01 am

SMT22, Wow! You found a keeper! A man willing to sew his own clothes! That is fantastic! :D
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b

Return to “What do y'all think?”