Thoughts, opinions and a couple of questions.

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
Kit
Costume Afflicted

Thoughts, opinions and a couple of questions.

Postby Kit » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:00 pm

Ok, I've talked the talk for awhile, but setting a wedding date and the 10 yards of pale pink dupioni my beloved gave me, plus an inheritance of 25 yards of antique silver galoon lace means I have to put my sewing where my lack of drive has been.

My combinations (TV 105) and corset (TV 110) mock up are cut out, but the tension in my sewing machine lost it's mind and it went to the shop, so I have nothing to report there yet other than a friend sent me me enough 100% cotton batiste from an Amish quilting store in Pennsylvania to make the combinations.

After a bit of thought, I've decided to go Natural Form for my dress. I had previously purchased TV 462 1883 Tail Bodice because I really liked it, but it's not Natural Form. I was deliberating on either making it shorter OR draping it up like an over skirt. Thoughts, Ideas, suggestions, OMG don't do thats?

I also already have the Victorian Petticoats (TV 170) but since I have settled on using the 1878 Fantail Skirt (TV 2225), should I go with the 1879 Petticoat with the Detachable Train? I plan on underlining the train on the skirt regardless since I don't want to be dragging the dupioni across the grass. (Outdoor wedding) I'm also fairly certain that I can "create" a button on train for TV 170, but which petticoat would suit the skirt pattern the best? Again, thoughts, ideas....

And finally, can someone truly explain to me what a Balayeuse is? I've found sources that seem to think it's some sort of a trained skirt, some seem to described it as an outer decoration to keep the train of the skirt spread and others also a device to keep the train spread, but either sewn on the underside of the skirt or on a special petticoat.

I know there are many experienced and knowledgeable folk on this board, all I can say is Help me Obi-Wan Kenobis, you all are my only hope! :shock:
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris - If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar
http://amsterdamesshop.com/Home_Page.php
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts, opinions and a couple of questions.

Postby Heather » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:12 am

I was looking for a different post that needed an answer and ran across this one. I'm sorry it was missed before.

A Balayeuse would be a "lining" put inside a train to keep it clean and help it lay better. It is usually made of strips of gathered light weight fabric, and can have lace. It can be narrow at the hem only, or go half way up the skirt. I

TV462 can easily be a natural form type dress. You can do all the things you describe, or make it longer and maybe take out some of the pleats.
Kit
Costume Afflicted

Re: Thoughts, opinions and a couple of questions.

Postby Kit » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:32 am

Heather, thank you for your reply, that straightened out the big questions that I had. I'm only five feet tall, so lengthening the back of the bodice probably won't be necessary regardless of how I decide to complete the back, but those parts I'll work out on the mock up. I just received a steampunk wedding invitation for November and I have lots of extra fabric, so I will probably make a dress similar to what I envision for my wedding as a dress rehearsal - no pun intended but it does work. :)

I've been getting a song and dance about ordering parts from the sewing machine repair shop, I'm about ready to go borrow a friends old Singer that has been setting in her closet for the last five years.

Thanks again!
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris - If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar
http://amsterdamesshop.com/Home_Page.php

Return to “What do y'all think?”