Girls dress ideas

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Girls dress ideas

Postby Miss Cindy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:46 pm

Dear Folks,
I found this picture a few days ago and decided that I would like to make it, or something as close as I can do, for my daughter who is six.
http://www.shadesofwyldemor.com/catalog.php?item=582
I'd like to use this material.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SILK-DUPIONI-new-sc ... 4801wt_907
What I need help with is the accent fabric and the "overskirt" fabric. Which colors would be best suited for the job, as well as fabric? Should I stick with silk or opt for finding a good cotton? She is a rough and rowdy kind of girl, like her mom. :)
Please give me ideas.
Thank you!
Miss Cindy
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Girls dress ideas

Postby Heather » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:46 am

I always like to keep the same quality of fabric throughout the entire fabric. So if you have dupioni, you need to get something with the same amount of "richeness" to it. Adding a cotton to dupioni, not so good. I woudl go with a solid dupioni, maybe pick two different colors, one for the dress, and one for the trim. This will give you a fabulous "dressy" dress.

On the other hand, if you want a more rough-and-toumble dress, I would go with a cotton plaid, and then cotton solids for the the rest. There are tons of awesome plaids in the cotton. And then you could toss the dress in the washer, and not be horrified if your angel damages her dress.
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:55 pm

You might be able to find a shot dupioni that would catch or complement two of the colors from the plaid. I also like Heather's idea of picking two silks for the body and contrast.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:09 pm

I made the command decision to stick with cotton.
Here are the fabrics that I chose.
http://www.denverfabrics.com/catalog_it ... ItmID=2382
http://www.denverfabrics.com/catalog_it ... ItmID=3161
I think that I will try to make a polonaise from the plaid and a NF underskirt from the embroidered fabric, then we can "match."
Miss Heather, can I size down any of your patterns to try to make the girls dress? If yes, which patterns would you recommend?
Thank you!
Miss Cindy
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:26 pm

I actually have a little girls dress pattern, TV600, that should get you very close to your picture. http://www.trulyvictorian.com/catalog/600.html
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:02 am

As you know, Miss Heather, I did get the girls pattern. I am starting today to work on it. I have a dilemma. I measured my daughter's inner arm length at 15 1/2, but the pattern only goes to 12 3/4. So, I am guessing that I am measuring incorrectly. Or she has gorilla arms. :P Would you please tell me where I am supposed to measure? Then I can verify her measurements and go from there. :oops:
Thank you! :D
Miss Cindy
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:55 pm

The best way to measure it to get a ruler and place it high under her arm, so that it is parallel to the floor. Have her stand naturally, with her arm hanging at her side. Then measure from the top edge of the ruler just in front of her armpit straight down to the wrist bone.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:39 pm

One more question, please. Should I flatline the skirt portion? I am using a cotton jacquard that has some weight to it, already.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:03 pm

You will most likely be fine without flat lining the skirt. But you can if you like. Since you have a meatier fabric to start, you can go either way.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:50 pm

Thank you, much!

Return to “What do y'all think?”