TV bodices for modern wear

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

TV bodices for modern wear

Postby gretagretchen » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:46 am

I really like a lot of the TV clothes and think that lots of them, especially the bodices, would be great as modern wear with little or no changes. What that would mean is wearing a corset, which is fine with me, except for one thing -- wearing the TV corset with pants.

It's hard! because of the length of the corset. And most of the bodices are actually shorter than the corset.

I don't know how practical it would be to wear the corset inside of slacks as you would a skirt. I also don't know how much I could hack off the bottom of the TV corset to make it more pants friendly.

So thoughts?
Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com
Tansy
Window Shopper

Re: TV bodices for modern wear

Postby Tansy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:51 pm

I've never thought about this before, but I can see where there'd be difficulty... So I'm just brainstorming ideas:

Alter the bodice pattern to fit without a corset. This may or may not work, depending on how much it changes the look of the bodice.

Borrow from the Renaissance costumers - make your corset with tabs on the bottom (same pattern, but made to split into panels with the boning continued as normal) so it allows more freedom of movement without being cut off too short.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:20 pm

If I'm going to completely remock and resize the TV patterns for a non-corset silhouette I might as well just forget it and buy modern patterns or modern costume patterns that don't require a corset.

No, I think I am hoping for a shorter corset solution. This might change the hip but it shouldn't change the waist and bust much.
Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com
xole
Window Shopper

Postby xole » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:25 pm

I've worn several of my TV bodices without a corset. The bodices are well boned by themselves, and I make them with full bag linings so they're easily wearable as modern clothing.
LidiaBest
Inquiring Mind

Postby LidiaBest » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:11 pm

Or you could try some of the longer jacket style bodices that might cover the corset line better than the shorter bodices.
Lidia Best
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:51 am

I think you could easily cut the TV110 higher at the front, back, and hips. Most of the support comes from the waist and ribcage anyway. You'd have to fit it carefully, but you're doing that already. Where I see you running into trouble is not the shorter corset so much as the way modern jeans fit. Denim is a stury enough material that I doubt a corset line would be terribly noticable, especially if you're wearing a bodice that extends past your natural waist, but most jeans today are so low cut that, after raising the bottom line of your corset, it might not stay "tucked in." This sounds uncomfy to me. You may need to consider wearing higher waist pants and jeans to make sure your layers stay in the proper place. Also, a solution I've seen recommended on other forums, is to wear spanx, control top hose, or shaping panties and pull the waist up over the bottom of your corset. This will not only keep your layers layered, but will help hide any corset line.
:fence:
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Postby SarahS » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:12 am

I wear a corset under my jeans most of the time--it really doesn't show. The only problem is they tend to slide down a bit over the slippery corset fabric so I always wear a belt to insure the corset stays covered. So try it with your regular corset first you may be surprised at how well denim covers the corset lines.
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:16 am

I wore trousers over a corset for my friends' wedding. For that costume, I cut the trousers to the natural waist so they would sit well, and then my bodice came down over the hip. While I was fussing with fit and things, though, several times I had on my corset and my regular cargo pants. The biggest problem was that the corset ended about where the pants started, so, indeed, the bottom came untucked easily. I expect you don't want to make the corset shorter, and you might even want it longer.

I think this will really depend on where you wear your pants normally and how much you intend to take off the waist with your corset. If you're taking a lot off, your pants will stand out at the waist and look unattractive. The solution to that, of course, is to make your own jeans.
Sabrina Fair
Costume Afflicted

Postby Sabrina Fair » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:23 am

my suggestion: baste a toile of a corset you've already sized for yourself and know that the size works in something stiff like duck. Put it on [no boning necessary] and put on the pants or pants style you'll wear the most. Mark where the waist rests above the waistband of the pants. When you take off the toile, mark an inch below that and then take out the basting. True your lines on the lowered line and use the half you're happiest with. That should be your pattern. :)

Return to “What do y'all think?”