corset help

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
katharine
Inquiring Mind

corset help

Postby katharine » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi all. I need advice. I had a corset made for me because I was too chicken to try and sew one myself. I think it is the TV corset pattern, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the corset was too big when I got it. :cry: I took an inch in on each side, and that helped. Now I've lost weight and it is too big again! Should I take it in on the sides again, or in the back or front??? Should I just forget it and attempt to make my own? I paid $130 for it, so I'm reluctant to just toss it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Katharine
Orianna
Information Junkie

Re: corset help

Postby Orianna » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:14 am

From experience, I know that it is really difficult to take a corset in and make it smaller. If it's made with two layers sewn together at top and bottom, you might be able to take it apart and take it in at each seam to make it uniformly smaller, then reassemble it. But if the layers are sewn together at each seam and boning channel, as Heather's corsets are, then you can't easily take it apart. Now, if the bones are widely spaced (which they should not be) you might be able to get away with taking it in between each channel, but it won't look pretty from the inside, that's for sure.

If it's going to be too much trouble to take in, then I would say just take it apart and salvage the parts (busk and boning) to make a new one. That way you get some of your money back. (Corset hardware is expensive!) That's what I did when my custom-made corset turned out too big. The seamstress tried to take it in, but it didn't turn out well, so I tore it apart and removed the busk and boning, and reused them to make a fresh corset that fits perfectly.
katharine
Inquiring Mind

Re: corset help

Postby katharine » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks, Orianna. Sorry to hear you had the same problem with your corset. There is room to take my corset in on the sides, so guess I will do that for now. After I lose a little more weight and get my sewing room finished, I'll attempt to make a corset. :scared: I'll use the busk and the boning from the corset as you suggested.

Best wishes,
Kathleen

Return to “What do y'all think?”