Binding with Velvet

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
valleyviolet
Information Junkie

Binding with Velvet

Postby valleyviolet » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:14 pm

I'm currently working on a project made out of cotton velvet. Pretty much everything that could have gone wrong on this project has, so I find myself in a situation where armholes have been cut in the wrong place and I no longer have space for seam-allowance (and can't really patch it because the rest of the garment has been constructed).

Do people have any suggestions/thoughts/recommendations on binding the armholes with bias tape made of the same velvet the rest of the garment is made of? Has anyone tried binding something with velvet? Would it be too bulky? Is there any way for me to iron the tape I make or am I going to have to fight unironed tape as I sew it on?

Even if you don't have any ideas, please send good thoughts my way, because this whole outfit has been a nightmare. Every time I cut something out it's wrong (backwords, upside down, misaligned with part of the garment, the wrong piece/size) and I only have one evening to finish the thing! :(
"The difference between clothing and fashion is a lack of peer pressure."
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Re: Binding with Velvet

Postby Tiffers » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:51 pm

Hmmm, I dont think velvet is going to be especially easy to bind with and its going to create a really bulky edge. Is it a ballgown style sleeveless bodice? Couldn't you use a really narrow satin bias?

Tiffers
Sabrina Fair
Costume Afflicted

Postby Sabrina Fair » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:34 pm

Maybe you can bind with a mixture 2 Hong Kongs. Take the cotton velvet bias strip and bind one bias end with organza bias and then start hand sewing the free end of the velvet to the armhole in such a way that when it is turned, the organza bias is wrong sides together on the inside. When it's all sewn in, flip it to the inside and then do that like another Hong Kong, laying the velvet bias flat against the lining which will eliminate the extra bulk of 4 whole layers of velvet on top of the garment and only be 3. Tack that down and voila.

Good luck!
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:14 pm

If you're devoted to the idea of a velvet binding, I think the double bias tape idea is a good one - you're basically facing the velvet binding with organza.

If you're not married to the velvet binding, an organza or satin binding might be easier to apply. It doesn't have to be very wide at all - just a quarter of an inch or so, and if you match the colors well it should be pretty invisible.

Good luck, whichever way you go!

Return to “What do y'all think?”