How Interchangable are Bustles?

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
kierly
Costume Afflicted

How Interchangable are Bustles?

Postby kierly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:20 am

So ... I want to make this dress:

I have both TV bustles, and as much as I love them, I want something ... bigger. Could I use this Mantua Maker bustle instead and still get the (relatively) correct silhouette?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated! :D
Cathi H
Inquiring Mind

Re: How Interchangable are Bustles?

Postby Cathi H » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:54 am

Sorry, I don't believe. The shape seems, for me, too agressive.
I don't know if the word is correct in English. :?
kierly
Costume Afflicted

Postby kierly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Aggressive is the perfect word for it! :)

You're right, it's a very big bustle. I'll probably stick with my tried and true TV bustle since I already have that made. Thanks!
Danibelle
Inquiring Mind

Postby Danibelle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:21 pm

Aggressive or not, I like that bustle! It's like a big ol' booty shelf! I must have one.

Kierly, that dress is gorgeous...will you be making it in the same colors?
-dani
“You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.” - Dave Barry
kierly
Costume Afflicted

Postby kierly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Danibelle - Isn't that bustle fabulous? I love the hugh-ness of it. I love my TV bustle but I find myself wanting something more aggressive and that pattern seemed to fit the bill.

I'm actually planning on making that dress in Burgandy trimmed with Gold for a Harry Potter party I'm planning on throwing this November. :D
Danibelle
Inquiring Mind

Postby Danibelle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:30 pm

Well, I can't wait to see your dress finished. Will you be posting progress pics of it as you work? Hope so!
-dani

kierly
Costume Afflicted

Postby kierly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:33 pm

I'm going to try! I've made up several TV patterns and have two complete ensembles from them but I never remember to take pictures as I go along. Since I have so much time to collect materials and prepare for this project I hope I can remember to take pictures! I'll definitely post pictures of the final product. :)
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:02 am

A lot of the early bustles were much closer to hoops than we make them nowadays. You could go with basically a cross between the elliptical hoop and a bustle - a full skirt with half hoops in the top (but tied much wider than just from hip to hip) and full hoops around the hem. That would give you the poufy bell shape the early bustles had. I think it's even Correct, but I don't have a reference--LIES AND SLANDER, I do! Costume in Detail by Nancy Bradfield, pages 225 and 233. One is dated 1870 and is like a small cage crinoline (7 tapes) with a very open front - only the bottom 12 inches have full hoops. The top 12" only go from side to side, the middle section cover side front to side front. The other is dated 1873-5 and is like a cage crinoline with an extra bustle in back. Five tapes. The bottom 13" are solid fabric and full hoops. Above that the wires go from side front to side front, all the way up. Then, for the top ten inches, there is an aditional Cb band supporting a separate set of wires which go from side back to side back and stick an additional 6" out.

There is another one on 234 which is more like one of the commercial patterns - each wire is in a sort of separate ruffle piece, so they stick out like alien scales or something. I can scan these, if you can't get the book for yourself (try local universities or inter-library loan).
kierly
Costume Afflicted

Postby kierly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:18 am

Thanks Bookwyrm - that's helpful! I don't have the book, but I'll try to get to the library this weekend. :)
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:23 am

What Bookwyrm is talking about is exactly what TV108 Grand Bustle is for. It has the hoops at the bottom. But you have that one already, right?

I totally understand the hunt for a bigger bustle, I'm kinda there myself. Although I recently made a new bustle (TV108 but left off the lower hoops), and I made the back one size bigger (2XL instead of XL) and It came out pretty big. So maybe that's all you need, one or two sizes larger?
kierly
Costume Afflicted

Postby kierly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:25 am

I do have the TV108 (it was the first bustle I ever made - love it!). Perhaps I will just make it a size bigger. Thanks for the tip! :D
Danibelle
Inquiring Mind

Postby Danibelle » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Heather wrote: Although I recently made a new bustle (TV108 but left off the lower hoops), and I made the back one size bigger (2XL instead of XL) and It came out pretty big. So maybe that's all you need, one or two sizes larger?

Heather, about how far up would it be okay to go to try and make a bigger bustle? Not just for looks, but....if I'm an M and wanted an XL bustle, would that fit together well enough or would I have to do a lot of fiddling with the pattern to make things fit? Would all that'd need to be done is making an XL with an M waistband?
-dani

Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:19 pm

You should be able to make the back in whatever size you wanted, keeping the front in the size M, and a size M waistband. Make a couple pleats or lightly gather the back to fit the smaller waistband.
kierly
Costume Afflicted

Postby kierly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 pm

After checking the pattern sizing again, I realize that I already would've made my bustle in a size 2XL. I'll have to keep looking for a solution to give me that big 'ol bustle. :D
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Postby SarahS » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:57 pm

I've been seeing examples of pillow type bustles from the 1870's and later 80's and have not tried this but was thinking a stuffed pillow of appropriate shape might allow you to supplement one of Heather's bustle crinolines into the more aggressive style without a lot of work?

Return to “What do y'all think?”