1880s farmers wife dress

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
linzibean
Window Shopper

1880s farmers wife dress

Postby linzibean » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:35 am

After being inspired by watching the BBC's "Victorian Farm" program, and wanting to follow on from our project last summer where we lived a week as if in wartime Britain, this summer my husband and I would like to live for a week (or likely more) as a Victorian household. Seeing as we live in the country in a cottage, we're thinking tenant farmers. All my lovely bustle gowns are far too grand for such a position, so I need ideas for patterns, fabrics and styles more befitted to my station - and of course, all the jobs I will be doing.

Can anyone help? Many thanks!
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:02 am

Since you have made some dresses already, you most likely have all the patterns you need. Just make very basic versions of TV261 and TV460, out of plain fabric (wool would be best or a calico) and without trims. Replace your overskirt with an apron.
Manon Antoinette
Inquiring Mind

Postby Manon Antoinette » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:21 am

I loved Victorian Farm! Be sure to use fabrics & color that can handle a bit of dirt! What may be a nice book for you to read is "Lost Crafts"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Crafts-Red ... 0550104267 I looked in it at the bookstore and it definately made it on my wishlist. My husband and I would love to go to the little village and be the local haberdashery & finery shop as I do dressmaking and millinery and he is a (historical reconstructionalist as he puts it) tailor :)
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
Oscar Wilde
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
Charlotte Brontë
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:25 am

I portray a ranch wife on a regular basis and can say that it is extremely helpful to make some dresses with 3/4 length sleeves, as well as to make all sleeves roomy enough in the forearm so that you can push them up past your elbows while doing housework and such.

It also helps to make the skirts a tad shorter than you normally would, just to make sure you're keeping them out from underfoot. It's really not that hard to do work in these styles so long as you adapt them a bit.

Oh, and pockets. It's always nice to have pockets either in your skirt's front seams or sewn directly on your wrapper. I have a picture somewhere in the gallery of a wrapper with two pockets. I use them all the time!
linzibean
Window Shopper

Postby linzibean » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:08 pm

Thank you for all of your replies - very helpful! I'll be building up fabrics and equipment over the next few weeks/months, so I'll be sure to update :D
auroradreams
Costume Afflicted

Postby auroradreams » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:48 am

it was a brilliant series very interesting, we live about 30 mins drive from acton so plan to visit when it reopens in april.
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Now I didnt realise this but you can actually rent the cottage that they used in the series!! I only found this out as we are looking to rent another place on the estate for a victorian house party!!

http://www.actonscott.com/henleycottage.php

Tiffers
julievictorian
Costume Afflicted

Postby julievictorian » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:37 am

omg!!!!!!!!! i've so got to go!!!! i loved victorian farm, i just wished the series had been longer :-(
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

I agree entirely with you there Julie! The series could have been a whole lot longer. One thing which let me down though was the fact that they didnt stay there overnight. It would have been interesting to find out how they fared when they were there 24/7.

Tiffers
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:10 pm

Gosh darn, that looks nothing like Acton, California! :lol:

(Lovely site. I'm going to keep going back to it.)

Return to “What do y'all think?”