Does anyone know what this is? Pattern suggestions?

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
melissaS
Window Shopper

Does anyone know what this is? Pattern suggestions?

Postby melissaS » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:57 am

Hello, since I've finished my corset I've been trying to decide what to make to go with it and came across this image while searching tea gowns (since I already have the pattern) and fell in love with it and want to make it.

I'm wondering what this kind of dress would be called, if anyone knows. I'm thinking to use the tea gown pattern to make this. It looks like it's closed in front though. Would it be possible to make the closures in the back? Or I'm thinking to make them the same color as the fabric to blend in.

I've probably decided on something rather difficult for my first Victorian dress but, I just really love this. I'm going to make the trained petticoat first, so I have some time before starting this.
Attachments
tea gown.jpg
tea gown.jpg (146.75 KiB) Viewed 337 times
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone know what this is? Pattern suggestions?

Postby Heather » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:01 pm

This is a type of polonaise, which is a bodice/overskirt combined, worn over and underskirt. They come in endless variations.

You can easily use the Tea Gown pattern for this. To move the closure to the back, add 1/2" to the center back for a button overlap. Or if want it to lace, then don't add anything. Also, take 1/2" off of the center front to remove the button overlap and make it a simple center front seam.
melissaS
Window Shopper

Re: Does anyone know what this is? Pattern suggestions?

Postby melissaS » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:25 am

I would not have thought it was a polonaise, thank you! And thank you for the suggestions on how to make the back closures, I'm going to take a look at the pattern and see if I have enough fabric for a mock up or if I need to buy some specifically for this.

Return to “What do y'all think?”