How should imperial tournure be worn?

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
majors
Costume Afflicted

How should imperial tournure be worn?

Postby majors » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:57 am

Good Afternoon!

I usually wear the Imperial tournure over my combination underwear, and then have the petticoats over that. However, I see in the pictures of the imperial tournure in the catalog that Heather is wearing the bustle over the petticoats. Obviously you need to see the bustle for photos, but; is putting your petticoats under your bustle one way to wear it?

DAnielle
Danielle Majors
Heather
Site Admin

Re: How should imperial tournure be worn?

Postby Heather » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:11 pm

Victorians almost always wore a "short petticoat" over the corset and under any other skirts. It was just below knee length, and not overly full or fancy. Most people today skip this petticoat, with the exception of under a hoop skirt. (most people wear a short petti under a hoop so that if the hoops flips up, you're not looking at legs, or worse.) It was a layer for modesty, and most likely helped with hygene, too. It would also protect you from any support garment, like horsehair supports, bustles, and hoops. I think in the case of bustles, it would stay in place better if it is sandwiched in between 2 petticoats.

I also find it interesting that most photos and illustrations from the period, show corsets and other items being worn over a full petticoat. Most likely to keep the photos "G" rated, so to speak. You can't be showing the unmentionables in their true state, that would be very risque. I tend to follow this example, even though it is not how the item is actually worn for real.

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”